The Comox Air Force Museum (CAFM), was founded in 1982 to reflect the role and history of 19 Wing (CFB/RCAF/RAF) Comox, the role and history of the Squadrons stationed here and significant Canadian Military Aviation of Western Canada. Originally started as a part of the Air Force Indoctrination School, the Museum was accredited as a stand-alone Canadian Forces Museum in 1987 and opened its doors to the public in its current location, 12 September 1987.
The Comox Air Force Museum displays the heritage of 19 Wing Comox and West Coast Canadian Military Aviation. Located at the historic and operational 19 Wing Comox, our Museum records the history and heritage of all of Canada’s Air Forces, from the short-lived Royal Flying Corps of Canada (1917-1918) and Canadian Air Force (1918-1924) through the glory years of the Royal Canadian Air Force (1924-1968), unification of the forces in 1968 and on into the present day. All of this is seen as through a local lens, as our Museum chronicles the history of West Coast military aviation, the history of Comox in particular.
The Museum is proud to host one of the finest aviation libraries in Canada. This large collection spans the breadth of aviation; from personal accounts and biographies to technical manuals in the books section, and from Canadian Forces issue service magazines to historical newsletters to specialist aircraft magazines in our periodicals section. At present, the library includes:
Over 7000 books, fifteen thousand periodicals and twenty thousand photos.
The Comox Air Force Museum is the the host of a Heritage Air Park, located near the museum approximately 500 metres south along Little River Rd/Military Row (the map says Little River Road, the signs say Military Row). Free Parking can be found across from the Glacier Gardens Arena in the gravel parking lot located beside the Heritage Park. The gate to the park exits off this parking lot. The Air Park hosts a number of different planes, all of which (except one) are reminders of the varied history of 19 Wing Comox and West Coast Canadian Military Aviation. The Air Park is open from May to September, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. each day.
• Avro Canuck:
• Boeing Vertol H-21: (Adopted by IMP)
• Canadair Argus:
• Canadair Silver Star
• Canadair Starfighter
• Canadair Tutor
• de Havilland Vampire: In the hangar because it is made from wood and would rot if placed outdoors.
• Douglas Dakota:
• Grumman (de Havilland) Tracker: (Adopted by a group of pilots who flew the Tracker)
• McDonnell Voodoo: (Adopted by 888 AFA Wing) This aircraft has been removed from the Air Park to be repainted and repaired.
• Y2K Spitfire Restoration Project: Located in the Hangar beside the Heritage Air Park
• Heritage Vehicles
Painting by Joe Smith.
Comox Air Force Museum
Canadian Aviation Blog
Tue, Jun 5 2012 11:31 PM
| Report Abuse