The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) has given preliminary approval for Air China and Dalian Baoshui Zhengtong Company (DBZC) to launch Dalian Airlines, as a new joint venture airline, to be based in the port city of Dalian in the northeastern province of Liaoning. The carrier has start-up capital of RMB 1 billion ($155 million), of which Air China provided 80% and will take a corresponding shareholding in the airline, while DBZC invested RMB 200 million ($31 million) and will hold the remaining 20% of shares.
A previous agreement to establish an airline in the city was signed by the Administration of
Dalian Free Trade Zone and HNA Group, the parent of Hainan Airlines, in August 2009, but these plans foundered in 2010. The new carrier plans to provide passenger and cargo services connecting Dalian with other provincial capitals, coastal cities and tourism destinations and will also operate international services to cities in Japan and South Korea. Initial equipment is expected to be between three and six Boeing 737-800s, which will be transferred from the Air China fleet. It is thought that services could start as early as November 2011. No contact details are as yet available.
Fri, Jul 22 2011 2:15 PM
| Report Abuse