The BMW 801 was a powerful German air-cooled radial aircraft engine built by BMW and used in a number of German military aircraft of World War II. The engine's 14 cylinders were in two rows of seven cylinders each, the bore and stroke were both 156 mm (6.14 in), giving a total capacity of 41.8 litres (2,502 in³). The engine generated between 1600 and 2000 hp. The unit (including mounts) weighed from 1,010 to 1,250 kg and was about 1.29 m (51 in) across, depending on the model.
Like most German aero engines, the BMW 801D did not have a carburetor, but featured direct fuel injection. An additional feature on the BMW engine in the Fw 190 was the Kommandogeraet a hydraulic-electric unit that automatically adjusted engine fuel flow, mixture and timing with propeller pitch in response to throttle demand and also engaged the supercharger. Over 61,000 examples of the 801 were made, the largest number of any single German aviation radial engine design in World War II, and whose production total for the entire WW II German aviation industry was only exceeded by the liquid-cooled Junkers Jumo 211 inverted V-12 engine.
The BMW 801D engine made history once coupled to the Fw 190, an extremely successful aircraft. It was a perfect combination, ensuring Fwl90 ranks with the Supermarine Spitfire, Vought Corsair and North American Mustang as one of the best fighters of World War II.
Canadian Aviation Blog
Photo Credit: Stahlkocher