The Avro Anson (nicknamed "faithful Annie) looks much more graceful from this perspective than when viewed from the side, when the belly looks extremely flat.. Avro 652A Anson T21 c/n 3634 G-VROE in RAF livery with serial WD413 is seen here over Volkel air base in The Netherlands (EHVK) during the Open Days of the Dutch Air Force on 15 June 2013. The aircraft was built in 1950 by A. V. Roe and Company at Yeadon, West Yorkshire and entered service with the RAF the same year. Since February 2012 it is operated by the Classic Air Force, based at Newquay Cornwall Airport (EGHQ). In RAF service, the Ansons were nicknamed "faithful Annie". The Anson is named after the British admiral George Anson, who circumvented the world from 1740-1744, thereby capturing a Spanish treasure galleon. Half of his 2.000 crew members did not survive the trip. Anson, however, became rich and famous because of the prize money from the Spanish ship and later became First Lord of the Admiralty (secretary of the navy in the British cabinet).
Related images in this EnoAeroPics gallery:
See more Avro aircraft
See more images of the RNLAF Open Days 2013
See more aircraft of the Classic Air Force, Newquay
Anson G-VROE on the website of the Classic Air Force
See the most recent EnoAeroPics images on Flightglobal/Airspace