The tail of the prototype Fokker S.14 Machtrainer c/n 6289 PH-XIV, displayed at the Aviodrome museum at Lelystad airport in The Netherlands (EHLE) and photographed on 29 July 2012. The aircraft first flew on 20 May 1951. Although the civil registration PH-NDY had been applied for in 1949, the first flight was made with a Dutch Air Force color scheme and the military looking registration K-1. But the prototype never became operational with the Royal Netherlands Air Force (RNLAF), which bought 20 of the 21 S.14s built. The prototype was built as an S.14.1 version. In 1953 it was converted to the S.14.2 standard, with the Rolls Royce Nene engine replacing the Derwent, which led to a redesigned engine exhaust. On 24 October 1960 it received its present civil registration PH-XIV (XIV being the roman mark for "14") and on 2 June 1961 it was handed over to the Dutch National Aerospace Laboratory (NLR). The aircraft was phased out on 28 February 1966 and handed over to the predecessor of the Aviodrome museum.,
On 20 October 1953 one of the operational S.14s crashed during a demonstration flight for the USAF near the Fairchild factory in Hagerstown. Export orders never materialized because the US presented Lockheed T-33s to foreign air forces at very low cost. In the early fifties Brazil showed interest in an export version and parts for five export aircraft are supposed to have been produced by Fokker. Production in Brazil seems never to have taken place, although rumours have it that one example would still exist in Brazil.
Related links in this EnoAeroPics media gallery:
More images of The Battle of the Tails 1
See more aircraft of the Aviodrome museum
See more images of Fokker aircraft
See the most recent EnoAeroPics images on Flightglobal/AirSpace here
See all EnoAeroPics images on Flightglobal/AirSpace here