DC-3 PH-DDZ towed 20082011
Douglas DC-3C c/n 19754 PH-DDZ with a vintage Martin's Air Charter livery and a replacement rudder being towed after the Military Aviation Spectacle of the Aviodrome museum at Lelystad airport in The Netherlands (EHLE) on 20 August 2011. The aircraft was delivered to the US Army Air Force in March 1944 as a C-47A-80-DL with serial number 43-15288. It was phased out by the USAF in 1961. After a subsequent career with the FAA, Somali airlines and Pyramid airlines of Egypt, it was bought by the Dutch Dakota Association in 1987. At first it was intended to keep the aircraft dormant in long term storage, after which it would be restored to airworthiness in the 21st century. Hence its present name "Doornroosje" (Dutch for "Sleeping Beauty"). But already in 1990 restoration started and the outer wings of former Dutch Air Force Dakota K-688 were attached. On the 1st of August 1999 the aircraft made its first post-restoration flight as PH-DDZ, painted in a historic Martin's Air Charter livery. Martin's Air Charter was the original name of the Dutch charter company that later became Martinair. In the foregroud the wing of Lockheed Neptune c/n 726-7263 of the former Dutch Naval Air Service with registration 210 is visible. The Aviodrome, the largest aviation museum in The Netherlands, is closed since 24 December 2011 after it was declared bankrupt. If rescue attempts fail, the whole collection will be auctioned in February 2012.
Related images in this EnoAeroPics media gallery:
More images of the Military Aviation Spectacle 2011 of the Aviodrome
See the most recent EnoAeroPics images on Flightglobal/AirSpace here
See all EnoAeroPics images on Flightglobal/AirSpace here