The first complete DC-3s to enter government service were two aircraft, the C-41 and C-41A. There were only one of each ever produced and they were built as fairly luxurious command staff transports for Major General Hap Arnold. Arnold ordered two DC-3s for VIP use by headquarters command staff at Bolling Field in Washington, D.C. The C-41 was also a one aircraft purchase. It was ordered 11 May 1938 under a one aircraft contract W535/AC11137 and was built at the Douglas Santa Monica plant under construction number 2145. It was delivered 11 September 1939, and received by the USAAC serial number 40-070.
The C-41A rear cabin was fitted with four swiveling lounge chairs and a galley. Like the C-41, it was delivered in a natural metal finish with tail stripes. General Hap Arnold’s two star "flag" was mounted at window height just to the right of the entrance door. The C-41 and C-41A served not only as the first true DC-3s in the military and the bridge to the C-47, but also as the direct model for corporate DC-3 air travel of the 1950s and the 1960s.
Interestingly, both of these uniquely historied aircraft survive and operate today. The C-41 is based in California under registration N41HQ and C-41A is based in Cape Girardeau, Missouri as N341A.