C-GDAK - The Burma Star C-47 at Whiteside County Airport Illinois
Model Year: 1939
Construction Number: 2141
Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum
Originally delivered to Eastern Airlines as NC1729, Fleet No. 347, the aircraft was impressed by the United States War Department in 1942 and flew in military service as a C-49 until it was returned to Eastern Airlines in 1945. This aircraft served with Eastern until June 12, 1952 when it was sold to Purdue Aeronautics. North Central Airlines took over the aircraft on March 7, 1953 and operated the aircraft as Fleet No.22. On November 30, 1964 the aircraft went to Houston Aviation Production Corporation and flew with Aircraft Charters Inc. and Houston Aviation Production Corporation in Houston, Texas until 1966. In 1968 the aircraft was acquired by the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, North Dakota until it was sold in 1972 to Shamrock Leasing Inc. who operated the aircraft from Crystal and Minneapolis, Minnesota until 1979.
In 1981 the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at the Hamilton International Airport in Mount Hope Ontario Canada acquired the aircraft where it underwent a 14 month major restoration before it flew again in June 1982 and won the “People’s Choice Award” at the 1982 Oshkosh “Air Venture” show. Our aircraft has been dedicated in honor of the Royal Canadian Air Force 435 and 436 “Burma Star” C-47 Squadrons who supplied the British Army in Burma in 1944 and 1945. The aircraft is painted in 1944 RCAF squadron colors with the 436 Squadron “Canucks Unlimited” slogan on the left side of the fuselage. The aircraft is powered by two Wright Cyclone 1820-202A engines and has accumulated 81,499 flight hours.