N34, the FAA’s last DC-3 was completed in May of 1945 by the Douglas Aircraft Company plant in Oklahoma City, the building that is now building 3001 at Tinker AFB, OK. It was finished as an US Army Air Force TC-47B, (SN 44-77027) but immediately re-assigned to the US NAVY as an R4D-6R (Bureau No 99856). It served in the NAVY in various transports squadrons at, Norfolk VA, Quonset Point RI, London England and NAS Glenview Illinois until 1956.
1958 it was loaned to the CAA the predecessor of the FAA where it was converted to and operated as a Flight Inspection aircraft. In 1966 the aircraft finally became FAA property, was upgraded to its current configuration and continued as a flight inspection aircraft until 1979. Most of this time was spent operating out of California. It ended its career as the main flight inspection training aircraft in Oklahoma City in 1980 and 81.
In 1985 it was taken out of storage repainted in its current Department of Commerce 1936 vintage colors and operated as a recruiting/ information tool at airshows around the country. It was again placed in storage in 1995. N34 was reconditioned for a third life in 2002 to participate in the US National Centennial of Flight in 2003 followed by celebrating the Oklahoma State Centennial in 2007. In 2008 it helped to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the creation of the FAA.
N34 is one of two items on the National Register of Historic Places that moves (the other being the Cable Cars of San Francisco). It was placed on the register on May 29, 1997.