Overhaul of Grumman G-73 Mallard J-54
Filed under: amphibian, amphibians, Mallard, Mallards, N2954, red and white, seaplane, seaplanes, tail stripes, twin engine, vintage
Overhaul of Grumman G-73 Mallard J-54 at Victoria Air Maintenance
Building on the success of the Goose and Widgeon, Grumman Aircraft developed Design 73, the larger "Mallard" for commercial use. Retaining many of the features of the smaller aircraft, such as twin radials, high wings with underwing floats, retractable gear and a large straight tail, the company built 59 Mallards between 1946 and 1951. Unlike the smaller aircraft, the Mallard featured tricycle gear, a stressed skin, two step hull and wingtip fuel tanks.
The Grumman G-73 Mallard is a large, twin engine amphibious aircraft. Many have been modified by replacing the original Pratt & Whitney Wasp H radial engines with modern turboprop engines. Manufactured from 1946 to 1951, production ended when Grumman's larger SA-16 Albatross was introduced.