UAV from 1944, TDR-1, Edna 3,
The TDR-1 was a simple aircraft powered by two Lycoming O-435-2 piston engines. The TDR-1 used low-performance engines and relatively few strategic materials, so it didn't interfere with wartime aircraft production. The TDR-1 had a very simple cockpit which was manned by a backup pilot for test flights. The pilot would only take over the controls when the remote control equipment failed or when the aircraft was landed. In unmanned operational missions, the cockpit canopy was replaced by a flush fairing, and the landing gear was dropped after take-off. The TDR-1 could be armed with either a torpedo or a 900 kg (2000 lb) bomb.
In 1944, a single unit with TDR-1 drones and converted TBM-1 Avenger control planes was deployed in the Pacific. In September and October that year, 46 TDR-1 drones were expended, of which 18 scored hits on the target. However, the Navy's assault program had already been terminated shortly before these operational missions, mainly because of delays, mediocre test results, and the success of conventional weapons in the Pacific war. A total of 189 TDR-1s had been built.
The museums TDR-1 Edna 3 is the only one in existence. The UAV of 1944