WACO YKS-6 at the Hahnweide Oldtimers Meet 2011.
The Waco S Series is a family of American cabin biplanes produced by the Waco Aircraft Company starting in 1935.
The YKS-6 was built as an ambulance aircraft in 1936. After its delivery it was in service in Alaska until 1989, primarily with Anchorage as its base. Up until 1969, it had floats instead of landing gear. In the inaccessible lake areas of Alaska, it served for the recovery of victims from accidents and for the transport of patients. In the back of the fuselage, one person can be accommodated on a stretcher.
The YKS-6 is appreciated by pilots as a reliable and stable plane and it has proved its excellent efficiency in the rough Alaskan climate with ice, snow and extreme cold. In 1989, a full restoration of the airplane was carried out.
In April 1997, the restored plane was ferried from Las Vegas, Nevada, across the American continent to Stinnes International Airport in Mississippi by the pilots Walter Eichhorn and Marwig Herzog, in 18 flight hours. In Mississippi it was disassembled and shipped to Germany in a container. The plane is still registered today with its original aircraft identification mark NC 16512. It is on display at Deutsches Museum Flugwerft Schleißheim.
Hahnweide Oldtimers Meet 2011
Canadian Aviation Blog