Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker

KC-135small.jpg

Six Boeing KC-135 Stratotankers demonstrate the elephant walk formation as they taxi down a runway right behind each other during a generation exercise at McConnell Air Force Base, Kan. The exercise showcased McConnell AFB aircrews’ capability to prepare a flight and take off within minutes of being notified of a mission. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Laura Suttles)

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker

1. Jerry Downing 20 May, 2009 at 11:08 pm #

I would like to know if there is a list of KC-135As in an Archive list as to what Air Force Base they were assigned to when they left the Boeing Plant.

The Base in question 1s: Glasgow AFB, MT. (Now closed as a SAC Base.)

The KC-135A’s Tail Numbers were somewhere between the numbers 63-7987 to 63-8009

I was stationed at Glasgow AFB, MT in 1963 to 1965, when we opened the first all Jet Tanker Squadron there with these KC-135As. Some of the Tail Numbers I do remember were as follows:

63-7987, the first to be assigned to Glasgow AFB, MT.

63-7997; 63-7998; 63-7999; 63-8007; 63-8008 and 63-8009.

I believe there wer 8 Tankers in the squadron when all the KC-135As finally were assigned to Glasgow AFB, MT. As you can see I am missing one Tail Numbe that I know of. I’m not sure if it was a series starting with 63-79** or 63-80**. One noumbe that keeps coming to mind was, 63-8002, but as I said, I wasn’t sure of the number.

I do hope that you might be able to help me find the numbers of those KC-135As that I had worked on during my stay at Glasgow AFB, MT.

Jarry Downing,

Retired USAF.

2. VERL KING 3 August, 2009 at 3:05 am #

JARRY,
    I HOPE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WILL BE OF SOME HELP.
    I WAS ASSIGNED AS THE CREW CHIEF ON THANKER 63-7998.
    IN MAY 1966, I WAS TOLD THE AIRCRAFT HAD BEEN SENT
    TO MARCH AFB, CA FROM FAIRCHILD AFB, WA IN LATE 1965 OR
    EARLY 1966.

63-7998 IS NOW AT PIMA AIR IN TUCSON ARIZONA (CHECK THEIRWEB SITE).
    IT HAD BEEN USED BY NASA AS THE VOMIT COMET UNTIL 2004
    AND IS STILL PAINTED IN THE NASA COLORS.

THEIR ARE A NUMBER OF WEB SIGHT THAT LIST KC-135 TAIL NUMBERS
    I’VE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD OF A LIST THAT SHOWS ASSIGNMENTS
    FROM BOEING TO THE AIR FORCE BASES.

IF I THINK OF ANY WEB SITES THAT MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU,
    I’LL BE SURE TO PAST THEM ALONG.

FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME ANYTIME ABOUT TANKERS

VERL KING
    RETIRED USAF

3. Ray L 11 November, 2009 at 11:50 pm #

Jarry…you might want to try looking in the following books:

More Than Just a Tanker by Robert S. Hopkins III
    or

The Boeing C-135 Series: Stratotanker, Stratolifter and other Variants by Don Logan

4. Mark Shest 12 January, 2010 at 1:42 am #

Hi there i was a crew chief on 63-7987 at K.I.Sawyer AFB Mich.It was up there from the late 80′s to 92 when i got out

5. Jerry Downing 17 February, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

The Base in question is: Glasgow AFB, MT. From 1963 to 1965. (Now closed as a SAC Base.)

The KC-135A’s Tail Numbers were between the numbers 63-7987, the first KC-135A to arrive at Glasgow AFB, to 63-8009, the last KC-135A to be assigned there.

I was stationed at Glasgow AFB, MT in 1963 to 1965, when we opened the first all Jet Tanker Squadron in Montana, with these KC-135As. Some of the Tail Numbers I do remember were as follows:

63-7987, the first to be assigned to Glasgow AFB, MT.

63-7997; 63-7998; 63-7999; 63-8007; 63-8008 and 63-8009.

I believe there wer 8 to 10 KC-135A Stratotankers, in the squadron when all the KC-135As finally were assigned to Glasgow AFB, MT. As you can see I am missing one or more Tail Numbers that I know of. I’m not sure if theTail Numbers were, 63-7996, 63-8002, and 63-8004. THese are the three that keep coming to mind, but as I said, I wasn’t sure of the tail numbers.

Jerry Downing, Retired USAF.

Hill AFB, UT.

6. Ray Wood, USAF RETIRED 22 February, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

I was the crew chief on the KC-135A 63-7999 from 1981 – 1984 while stationed in Minot North Dakota. I was transfered to McConnell AFB Kansas and low and behold 63-7999 came to McConnell as a KC-135R and again I was the crew chief. Great airplane and great TDY’s.