CF-18 Hornet – Pic of the week (10 February)

Canadian Hornet.jpg

This image of a CF-18 Hornet is pic of the week for the current issue of Flight International, out tomorrow…

The photographer is AirSpace user runlikehell - take a look at his other images in his own gallery.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

9 Responses to CF-18 Hornet – Pic of the week (10 February)

1. Dave 9 February, 2009 at 1:20 am #

That’s not a Super Hornet. That’s a CF-18, a variant of the legacy F/A-18A- though the particular example seen here is a modernized version. You can tell by the bird slicer antennas on top of the nose.

2. Jason Watkins 9 February, 2009 at 1:28 am #

Hi,

The pictured aircraft is not a “Super Hornet”, but a “legacy” F/A-18A. Maybe Canada will buys some at a later date.

3. Jim C 9 February, 2009 at 2:06 am #

This is actually a Regular Hornet CF-18A – Canada deos not have any Super Hornets.

One way to tell them apart is the super hornet has a dog-tooth edge to the wing and the line where they fold for carier duty.

Jim

4. Gary 9 February, 2009 at 9:49 am #

I agree with the other commentators – that’s not a Super Hornet – the anti fatigue strakes adjacent to the leading edge slots give it away but there are other detail differences

PS Do you guys ever apologise when you make a mistake?

Gary
    Sydney
    Australia

Home of the F18A/B and, soon(ish) the superHornet

5. Barbara Cockburn 9 February, 2009 at 10:01 am #

Hello Gary
    Of course, if we get it wrong we’ll apologise. I’m waiting for a response from our defence editor on what the aircraft actually is before I respond. Watch this space.
    Barbara

6. Barbara Cockburn 9 February, 2009 at 11:03 am #

Craig Hoyle, Flightglobal’s defence editor informs me that this aircraft is indeed NOT a Super Hornet.
    He tells me: “Canada doesn’t fly them – it only has F/A-18A/B Hornets, the Super Hornet is the E/F model and is so far only in use with the US Navy, and ordered by Australia.”
    I apologise for my error.

7. rob 10 February, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

Barbara,

Don’t “wait” for someone else to do the correct thing. Are you actually saying you don’t even know enough about airplanes to tell the difference between an A/B and an E/F?

Its sounds as if the commentators here are more knowledgeable than you, perhaps you should get another job and stop hiding behind your “defense editor”. If you defense editor can not tell the difference either, you both should go get another job.

Pull the picture down, admit your mistake, and pay more attention to the details in the future. Thats my 2 cents. Watch this space.
    Rob

8. Dave 10 February, 2009 at 11:04 pm #

I have to agree with Rob here, there are numerous visual cues that point to the difference between a legacy Hornet and the Super Hornet.

9. John 24 December, 2009 at 5:36 am #

Everybody seem to be concerned about the exact “model” “the leading edge slots” etc. what the hell, it’s a beautiful pic. of a legacy Hornet and captures the essence of the bird in full flight. Good ‘nough for me.