A flying hotel helicopter? Or is it an early April Fool?

We at Flightglobal aren’t entirely convinced by the flying hotel called the Hotelicopter.

The aircraft is modelled on the Mil V-12 (Russian heavy-lift helicopter) and the Hotelicopter Company supposedly bought one of the prototypes from the Mikhail Leontyevich Mil helicopter plant in Panki-Tomilino, Russia in 2004 and have been engineering the world’s first flying hotel ever since.

In addition to extending the helicopter’s body to accommodate an extra floor, four GEnx turbofan engines ave been added, each featuring a thrust range of 75,000lbs, and energy-efficient aerodynamic modifications that cut fuel consumption over 22% on long hauls.

Hotelicopter.jpg

Once stepping inside the Hotelicopter, you’re welcomed into a “plush” welcome lounge then shown you to your own cabin where you’ll enjoy your “private entertainment system, full bathroom and shower, and a queen-sized bed with Egyptian cotton sheets.

If it’s pampering you’re after, and why wouldn’t you in a flying helicopter? – you can have a deep tissue massage, a manicure and pedicure, or have your hair done, top up your tan or take a soak in the jacuzzi or indulge in our dry sauna.

Hmmm, I thought transporting water wasn’t the most efficient way to travel, so I smell a rat.

David Kaminski Morrow, online news editor, says: “Looks like an elaborate prank to me (PS – April Fool’s Day this week). The Mil V-12 (Russian heavy-lift helicopter) existed, but I think there were only two of them because it never went into production. Plus I doubt anyone managed to put something like this together under people’s noses without something being said.”

“Incidentally, I think the building behind the front-page picture is a weather monitoring station.”

If you know something we don’t we want to hear from you.

, , ,

12 Responses to A flying hotel helicopter? Or is it an early April Fool?

1. kjfitz 30 March, 2009 at 8:32 pm #

here is the source image for the background of their web site:

It is NOAA’s hangar at McDill AFB in Tampa.

2. Simon O'Riordan 5 April, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

When I was a student of Aeronautical Engineering at QMC in 1981, I came up with the idea of a restaurant in an airship which would cruise between London and Paris.
    There was to have been a glass-floored toilet with a bombsight!

3. P. M. Wells 14 April, 2009 at 8:38 am #

I saw an advert for the Hotelicopter on the penultimate page of a T.V.supplement issued with a Cyprus News paper (Saturday 04/04/2000). It appeared genuine!!!!

4. Meau 23 April, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

Definitely fake. Good work though.

I fly helicopters, and used to fly big CH-53E’s. I got a real chuckle out of the little pursuit helicopters flying right under the large blades and in the large machine’s rotor wash. Yeah…that could happen.

5. Peter 10 May, 2009 at 10:06 pm #

es ist kein witz

6. guuddy wedster 2 June, 2009 at 8:53 am #

i flew the hotelicopter so its real!!!!!!!

7. Norm 19 June, 2009 at 5:57 pm #

This machine has been around for over 40 years. It was designed by Gerry Anderson and first appeared in an eposide of Thunderbirds.

8. Ravi Sirisoma 20 June, 2009 at 11:40 am #

This is truly amazing. i wish i could fly on this thing one day !!! (a dream)

9. Pamela Seckletstewa 28 January, 2010 at 11:54 am #

Me and my partner are planning our new bathroom suite and came across your blog researching, i’ve just spent the last twenty minutes parusing your site, don’t think my boss will be to happy if he finds out :) nice blog, i’ll check back often.

10. alberghi 28 January, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

I’ve been reading a few posts and really and enjoy your writing. I’m thinking of linking to your posts from my site , just let me know if it’s feasible , thanks !

11. Will Horton 29 January, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

Thanks, Pamela and please do keep reading–but perhaps not during work time!

12. 网球拍 24 October, 2013 at 6:32 pm #