The Most Informative 737 Ever

There have been multiple efforts to educate passengers about flying. ICAO has hosted conferences about the fears of flying and Virgin Atlantic has an iPhone app to explain different phases of a flight.

But I’ve never seen quite an effort as South African LCC Kulula has carried out. Readers of the Airline Business blog may remember Kulula’s quirky telephone system, and that quirkiness isn’t lost on these photos of their specially painted (err, decaled) ‘Flying 101′ 737.

Stickers explain parts of the aircraft, like engine and seats, but also mention “the big cheese” for the captain’s seat and explain the lavatory as “loo (or mile-high club initiation chamber)”. Click on the photos for a larger view.

kulula-1.jpgkulula-2.jpgkulula-3.jpgkulula-4.jpg(These photos have been making the rounds on e-mail chains, so I suspect these images are from the airline, but if you have copyright info please let me know.)

5 Feb Update: These photos are from Flickr user shanair (Malcolm Nason). At the time I posted them I did not have any copyright info, photographer info, or know the photos originated from Flickr. Apologies and great photos Malcolm!

7 Feb Update: Hat tip to user

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

8 Responses to The Most Informative 737 Ever

1. Ration Packs 30 November, -0001 at 12:00 am #

Nice pictures. I really liked to see more but one thing bother me was it’s colour. It has very weird colour..Ration Packs

2. Michael Ford 5 February, 2010 at 6:21 am #

I really like this aircraft – especially the color… great article!

3. Gary Glover 5 February, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Why is the port side registration (ZS-ZWP) totally different to the starboard side registration (OK-PIK)?

4. Will Horton 5 February, 2010 at 11:09 am #

Sharp eyes, Gary!

It seems the OK rego is temporary as the aircraft came from a Czech airline. I found some info here: http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19530

5. Barbu 5 February, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

Hello!
    The pictures are taken by a photographer named Malcom Nason:

As you can see there, they are clearly marked as copyrighted – all rights reserved.
    As much as I enjoy your site, I can’t help shaking my head at your observation that you don’t know their copyright status. As you know, this is not an afirmation taken lightly by anyone…
    I’m sure something can be worked out if you try to contact the guy. If you don’t succeed, maybe it’d be better to just link to the pictures; copying them is a big no-no, no matter how many e-mails “circulate”.

6. Malcolm Nason 5 February, 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Just wondering who gave you permission to use my photos without any credit ? I would have no problem if you just had the manners to ask. Photos posted on Flickr are copyrighted.
    On the subject of the OK- registration, the ex New Axis aircraft was ferried from Ostrava to Shannon by GECAS for painting as OK-PIK and was rolled out for photos with the South African reg before returning to Ostrava for final paperwork with the Czech reg taped back on

7. Will Horton 5 February, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

Hi Barbu,

Thanks for your comment.

As I indicated on the post, the images were sent to me without any copyright information. I had no idea until your comment they originated from a Flickr user.

Because the images show the aircraft emerging from the paint shop (not an area anyone can have access to), were high resolution, and are of a professional standard, it was easy to presume they originated from a PR agency.

I don’t think it’s fair for you to shake your head since we did not know they were copyrighted! We take copyright quite seriously. As you are aware, we generate much media and articles ourselves.

Now that we know the origin of the photos I’ll communicate with the photographer (who has since left a comment).

Thanks for pointing out the photos are from Flickr.

8. Will Horton 5 February, 2010 at 7:36 pm #

Hi Malcolm,
    Please see my reply to Barbu’s comment. The images were sent to me without any copyright info or photographer credit. Since they were high-res, professional, and taken outside the hangar (which not everyone has access to), I assumed they were from a PR group as we receive many similar types of photos. (For an example, see: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flight-international/2010/01/thomson-airways-christmas-plan.html)

Apologies for the mishap. I have since amended the post. I would love to keep your photos up, but if you would like me to take them down then please let me know.

Cheers,