UPS - that rather large parcels express company – has sent out a yuletide press release proclaiming its 100th year of delivering seasonal joy to one and all.
It is the statistics that make for the most fascinating reading:
* On its peak day, Wednesday, Dec 19, UPS expected to deliver more than 250 packages every second through its worldwide air and ground network
* Today, Friday, Dec 21 – it expects to handle its largest volume of air express packages, delivering some 5.6 million air packages or nearly two-and-a-half times its normal air volume
* To meet the surge, UPS hires an extra 60,000 seasonal staff
* It adds another 7,000 vehicles at this time to its usual ground fleet of 94,542 package cars, vans and tractors
* UPS Airlines, already the ninth largest in the world, will add 423 more flights per day during this peak week (Dec 17-21) compared to an average day.
It make you tired out just thinking about it.