New year, new ad campaign for Virgin

Virgin Tail.jpg

Happy New Year everyone. It seems that Virgin Atlantic’s New Year’s resolution is to re-establish itself as the glamorous airline with the red hot cabin crew.

If you haven’t seen the new ad campaign, have a look here and let me know what you think.

It seems to hark back to a bygone age when air travel was deemed sexy and glamorous, rather than the delay-prone, overcrowded means of getting from A to B that it has become today.

The brick-sized 1980s mobile phone in the ad is amusing – did people really did used to think they looked anything other than ridiculous with such clunky, oversized pieces of plastic clamped to their ears?

But will the ad have its desired effect? Will a bunch of attractive women in red stilettoes encourage people to forget their money worries and fly Virgin in these difficult economic times?

I’d be more interested in finding out what Virgin’s plans are for this year in terms of being a standalone carrier in the midst of a frenzy of consolidation activity. Will the carrier end up in some kind of deal with Lufthansa over bmi? And if not, will some smart red uniforms be enough to help it navigate the choppy seas ahead?

9 Responses to New year, new ad campaign for Virgin

1. Kirstie 7 January, 2009 at 8:16 pm #

I’ve been waiting to see this ad – i keep missing it on the TV. i think its a great ad. it’s like the John Sargent of ad’s. exactly what everyone needs right now lighthearted tongue in cheek fun.
    so it serves the advertising purpose, I’m going to remember it.

2. Colin 9 January, 2009 at 12:33 am #

Kerry, the new Virgin ad certainly hits the spot when it comes to prodding an old fartie like me with the testosterone stick… But seriously, ever since (back in the ’80′s if I recall, when Janeh Shtreet Powtah. made a programme just about ads (because businesses will spend more on a 30-second ad than it costs to make a whole season of some soap) – I noticed. This Virgin ad is good, technically, cos it grabs your attention. Dunno about the quality of the airline. ;-)

3. Kerry 9 January, 2009 at 9:34 am #

Thanks for your comments Colin – I’m glad the ad warmed you up on a cold January day. It’s certainly got people talking, which is probably a measure of success for an ad. Virgin has always been really good at marketing its brand – let’s wait and see if this turns into ticket sales!

4. Alcides 11 January, 2009 at 1:15 pm #

I Honestly think that Advertising really has to do much with an Airline. I remember the once there was this continental commercial where the was a runway filled with names of its destinations and the Main Landing gear was visible landing on the runway. It was a simple commercial but it still pushed me into booking a flight.

5. Susan Vella 18 January, 2009 at 2:10 pm #

This advert shows the fun and cool side of Mr Richard Branson, and his amazing staff.I am a frequent flyer member, and proud of it.I think i better start planning and booking my flights way in advance as i think business can only get better for virgin airlines in the future.For all those people who have not flown with Virgin,what are you waiting for.

Susan Vella

6. Maria 28 January, 2009 at 7:49 pm #

This has to be one of the best adverts on television for a long time! Big well done to your marketing team, it’s truly brilliant! I overheard a few other people talking about this in a supermarket the other day and saying how great they thought it was too! Having flown with many other competitive airlines, I have to agree that there is only one winner and that is Virgin airlines, keep up the good work!

7. Jason Kisak 24 December, 2009 at 9:42 am #

I very much appreciated your writings and sharing your thoughts to everyone. I expect more articles to read for the next time.

8. Janis Mills 29 January, 2010 at 8:51 pm #

have recently started using the blogengine.net and I having some problems here? in your blog you stated that we need to enable write permissions on the App_Data folder…unfortunately I don’t understand how to enable it.

9. Allyson Wittwer 29 January, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

Great stuff as usual…I personally have embraced the new technologies and the CMS platforms, I think the new tools only make the web designs better. I am glad that new technologies are coming out in web design that make things easier, improved, and better looking for design.