Time travel in Ethiopia

My recent visit to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia revealed it to be a place filled with contrast, extremely warm characters and confusing timelines.

Millenium.JPG

First up, the timelines. It’s like travelling back in time. No, literally. In Ethiopia it is 2001. Their calendar is seven to eight years behind ours, depending on whether we’ve had our New Year. This means the Ethiopians celebrated the turn of their millennium on 11 September 2007.

The Ethiopian year also has an extra month, giving them the perk that their tourism brochures can truthfully boast 13 months of sunshine (even though the thirteenth month lasts only five days).

Add the fact that they have a completely different time system, and you have the proverbial cherry on the cake. Please note I’m not talking about the three-hour time difference from GMT here.

At what we would normally regard as 0600, it’s twelve o’clock there. They have 12 daytime hours and 12 night time hours, so 1500 by our clock is nine in the afternoon by theirs, a member of Ethiopian’s PR team informs me, somewhat intrigued by my fascination with the subject.

Unsurprisingly this led to a degree of confusion over the timings of my Airline Business cover interview with Ethiopian Airlines CEO Girma Wake.

Thumbnail image for Interview with Wake.jpg

Ethiopian’s PR guy said by e-mail: “Your interview is scheduled at 9:00pm tomorrow. It will be done at the board room. I will arrange a car to pick you from Sheraton at 02:15pm.”

After a bit of clarification, it emerged that the interview was actually scheduled for 1500, not 2100. I take solace from the fact that even Ethiopians find the system a bit confusing.

The moral of this? Don’t expect simplicity from a country which has a 300-letter alphabet.

DCP_2789.JPG

Then there’s the contrast. The Sheraton in Addis (grounds pictured above) could happily slot in unnoticed among Dubai’s many palatial hotels. The surroundings, beyond the boundries of the luxurious, landscaped hotel compound, however, could not.

Bamboo Scaffolding.JPGDonkeys wirh breeze blocks.JPGGoats wander the edge of the road. Beggars mingle among the cars, selling tissues and audio cassettes. Women and children work on construction sites, the upcoming buildings clad in bamboo scaffolding.

There are colours everywhere, from vibrant parasols to the more sombre, but beautiful, red jewelled coffins stacked up outside shops neighbouring a church. Every dusty side track has a collection of residences, in the loosest possible use of the term, their walls formed from corrugated iron, fabric sheets or, as you go farther off track, wattle and daub.

Cloth house.JPGThe country’s warmth, quirkiness and unbreakable spirit can be felt at Ethiopian Airlines’ headquarters, where it’s easy to forget the poverty down town. But, as always, the devil is in the detail. In the ladies’ toilets there’s a container filled with free condoms for the airline’s staff. Outside there is an Ethiopian Airlines advertising billboard, which shows an aircraft but carries the slogan: “All of us have a responsibility to fight HIV/AIDS.”

But the people. The people are amazing. Ethiopian’s chief agrees to pose for a photo with Flight’s mascot, Stefan the pilot. Children and adults greet us with enthusiasm, smiling warmly and proudly as we take pictures. Their happiness is infectious and, amid the poverty, it made me question exactly what we westerners have to be so glum about.

Wake and Stefan.jpgEthiopians are very family orientated. I regale our hosts with a story about my return flight from my last visit, when a Somalian co-passenger told me about his 70 brothers and sisters (I’ll save you the maths, it was one dad and several mums). Ethiopian’s various PR team members express surprise at the tale, but two of them have nine siblings – maybe not quite as extreme as my Somanlian friend but still a very big family by our standards. I’m introduced to one of the PR manager’s brothers, a restaurant manager at the Sheraton. He greets me like family, lots of photos are taken on their cameras and I’m invited in for coffee.

And then there’s the odd quirky surprise. Beware: Addis Ababa’s altitude makes bottles pop open, as I discovered when my roll-on deodorant successfully aimed, and then fired, its ball at my underarm.

During our trip we visited a cultural restaurant, with local singing, dancing and cuisine. Ethiopians don’t traditionally use cutlery, so a waiter – armed with liquid soap, an ornate kettle and a large dish – appeared, pouring soap and warm water over our hands at the table.

Our shared platter (pictured below) includes injera, a pancake-like bread, which I’d experienced during my previous visit. At the time I wasn’t aware it was a bread and its grey, spongy, flannel-like texture made question whether it was, in fact, animal’s intestines. Injera is served rolled, like a napkin. One of my Ethiopian hosts says unknowing tourists often shake out the injera, neatly placing it on their laps in preparation for the meal.

Food.jpegThe Ethiopian PR guys say it’s normal for visitors to have their feet washed after the meal. Thankfully, this didn’t happen and I later gather that this is a standard joke to use on westerners. Unfortunately they weren’t joking when they merrily summoned a local dancer, encouraging Tom (our photographer) and I to mimic the professional’s impossibly controlled neck movements in front of a full audience. I think I’ll stick with journalism.

With the goal of exploring a bit more of this fascinating country, we show our hosts an article in Ethiopian’s in-flight magazine about the ruins of Washa Mikael church, which was built from a single piece of rock and is situated on the outskirts of Addis. It’s accessed by a 45-minute walk, but the article says you can get there by car. One of the PR team says, grinning: “When they say ‘car’, they mean ‘CAR’.” A jeep shows up at the hotel. The engine starts, and I have a terrible feeling that our CAR may have an internal carbon monoxide emissions issue. I don’t mention it.

DSCN2869.JPG

As we steadily trundle on, it emerges that the exact location of our destination is, erm, hazy. At one point we were stopping every 50 feet to ask directions.

We ventured off-tarmac, to an unpaved road, and our route dilemma became a little clearer. We asked two random students (pictured right) for more directions. They, of course, hopped in the back to join our unlikely posse. The road then became bumpy. Very bUmPy.

When we finally arrived at the ruins, Tom and I stood by as a long, passionate discussion ensued between the church’s curators, our driver, Ethiopian’s PR guy and the students. The debate’s key prop was a notice board and the discourse seemed to centre on money, opening hours and more money to use cameras. I don’t know the details; I still hadn’t mastered the 300-letter Amaric alphabet by that point.

DSCN2859.JPGNegotiations amicably concluded, the church ruins (pictured left) were revealed in their serene beauty.

Once we’d fully taken in the worn, old building, our intrepid crew, which had now grown to eight including a priest and a guide (or nine with Stefan!), trekked briefly through a eucalyptus-perfumed forest to a nearby vantage point.

The view over Addis was stunning and we all gathered on a large rock to take it in.

It’s hard not to smile and relax when you’re in an environment which is this far removed from normal day-to-day life.

DSCN2914.JPGWhen we were finally reunited with our jeep, a young girl, who seemed to be the daughter of the priest, was keen to see the photos I’d taken of her and her brother. I showed her and she gave me a huge, delighted smile before being summoned back to dad. I captured the two of them together in a final photo.

DSCN2953.JPGDSCN2955.JPG

Seriously, if you get the opportunity, do visit Ethiopia. It’s a fantastic country, filled with fantastic people, who have an amazingly positive outlook on life. I have never smiled, laughed, or felt so humble, on a press trip.

, , , , , ,

19 Responses to Time travel in Ethiopia

1. Abrish 21 February, 2009 at 8:59 pm #

I have to say as an Ethiopian American, i didn’t even appreciate Ethiopia as this wonderfull jorenalist did and i do hope to go back one day and enjoy it as she did…btw loved the article

2. Yohannes 25 February, 2009 at 9:15 pm #

What a wonderful article. I enjoyed it and not because I’m Ethiopian by birth and the article has many positive reflections about the country but the fact that the journalist was open minded in the way she interpreted the cultural and economical contrast from her country.

3. Yosef 3 March, 2009 at 12:50 pm #

Well i must admit that this story is one among the very few articles I read that has a positive impression about the country. We have pleanty of adventureous sites to be explored and seen. But due to the inefficiency of the toursim ministry, the number of toursits visiting the country is almost nil.Feedbacks like this article will definetly encourage toursits to visit this vast and beautiful country.

4. Mimi 3 March, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

Hi Victoria,

Great article!

It is important to note that when you go to visit a country as a “tourist”, it is appropriate to mingle with the locals and eat, breath, dance, drink, etc with the locals. This is how one will get a chnace to experience other cultures.

If you just go to a resort town by the beach, the only people you see are fellow tourists (mostly Westeners).

If you go as far away as Ethiopia (or any where else), be a real tourist and do what Victoria did here. Otherwise, if you just hang around at resort towns, you might as well stay in your own city by staying at a hotel/motel and get drunk ;-)

By the way, I know the PR guy you mentioned (his initials are LGM, and his brother, who co-owns a restaurant in trendy Bolle area of Addis, is the restaurant manager at Sheraton).

Thank you Victoria for your positive view of Ethiopia and your advise for other to go and visit.

Given the world economy, lots of Westeners are considering to retire in cheaper countries, including Ethiopia. With the exception of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is very cheap. A retiree can easily afford to buy or rent a house and live in the outskirts of Addis and in Oromia parts of Ethiopia.

Cheers

5. Victoria Moores 4 March, 2009 at 11:45 am #

Ethiopia is a fascinating country and I’m happy that I was able to share a few of the insights which made my visit so special.

This was my first blog post and I’m stunned by the warm reception which it’s had, especially from Ethiopian nationals.

Thanks for your kind words,

Victoria

6. Hassan Jacobs 19 December, 2009 at 10:15 pm #

Can you believe it? I read it twice. While I am not as accomplished on this issue, I agree with your determinations because they create sense. Thanks and goodluck to you.

7. bed bug spray 4 January, 2010 at 11:04 am #

We should thank you for giving such a informative blog. Your blog was not just informative but also very creative too. We find very few professionals who can create technical articles that creatively. All of us look for information with regard to a topic like this. I Myself went over several websites to build up on knowledge about this.We look forward to the next posts !!

8. www.rchall.com 6 August, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Thanks for another fantastic post. The place else may anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal method of writing?
    I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m at the look
    for such information.

9. news 18 August, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board
    and I find It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

10. Leesa 12 September, 2013 at 12:52 am #

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyhow, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back
    frequently!

11. Curt 19 September, 2013 at 11:53 am #

I almost never comment, but i did a few searching and wound up here
    Time travel in Ethiopia – Airline Business. And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright.
    Is it only me or does it appear like a few of the
    responses appear as if they are written by brain dead individuals?
    :-P And, if you are writing on additional sites, I’d like to keep up with anything new you have to post.
    Would you make a list of the complete urls of your social pages
    like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

12. weight loss supplements 9 October, 2013 at 12:53 am #

I don’t write many comments, however i did some searching and wound up here Time travel in Ethiopia –
    Airline Business. And I do have a couple of questions for you if you tend not to mind.
    Is it only me or does it appear like some of the remarks look like coming from brain dead people?

:-P And, if you are posting at additional social sites, I’d like to keep up
    with everything fresh you have to post. Would
    you list of every one of your public sites liike your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

13. how to lose weight really fast 17 October, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

I was more than happy to find this website.
    I want to to thank you for ones time for this fantastic read!!
    I definitely enjoyed every part of itt and i also hasve you saved tto
    fav to look at new infformation in your website.

14. exercises 22 October, 2013 at 12:12 am #

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand yiur sguff
    previous too and you are just too excellent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in wbich yyou say it.
    You make it enjoyable annd you still take care of tto
    keep it smart. I can not wait too read mucch more from you.
    This is really a tremendous site.

15. 60 day workout 25 October, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Hey, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine bbut when opening
    in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to
    give you a quick heads up! Other then that, amazing blog!

16. Priscilla 26 October, 2013 at 7:44 am #

Sweet blog! I found itt while searching on Yahoo News.
    Do you haave any suggestions on howw to get listed iin Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

17. best workout 26 October, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Your way of explaining everything in this article is actually nice, every oone can simplyy know it, Thanks a lot.

18. best protein supplements for building muscle 31 October, 2013 at 6:17 am #

It’s an remarkable paragraph in support of all the internet visitors; they will get advantage
    from it I am sure.

19. to lose weight fast 7 November, 2013 at 5:31 am #

What’s up, its fastidious paragraph concerning
    media print, we all understand media is a impressive source of information.