US Airways accidentally ships human corpse to pet shop

Imagine working in a pet shop and opening a package you expect to be a shipment of tropical fish, and finding instead a human body.

That’s what happened to Mark Arabia, the owner of Pets Plus in Philadelphia. Apparently US Airways sent the body to the pet shop by accident – it was actually bound for a research laboratory 70 miles away.

US Airways, which says it is deeply sorry for the mix-up, explains that it was down to a “verbal miscommunication between a delivery driver and the cargo representative”.

As for the tropical fish, sadly the pet shop owner says they were left at the airport and probably died.

, , ,

6 Responses to US Airways accidentally ships human corpse to pet shop

1. shop mediation 12 March, 2009 at 6:35 pm #

wow this must be horrible. This is scary stuff.

2. Kerry 13 March, 2009 at 8:54 am #

Thanks for your comments AK. This is well beyond my remit of writing about aviation-related matters but thought I might as well throw my two pennies’ worth in as I brought it up in the first place! I respect your opinions on this sensitive issue, which I’m sure everybody sees, and is entitled to see, in a different way. I’m more of the belief that if we can learn through science about the causes of devastatng diseases and therefore find ways of preventing others from suffering the same fate, then this type of research is vital – only, of course, when the person involved has given their full consent.

3. scary games 24 January, 2010 at 11:22 am #

I really think you need to check out this lovely website where you can play the latest scary games .

4. Robbin 1 February, 2010 at 8:30 am #

If they are messing up this bad with there cargo imagine what they are doing with our live animals.

5. Stefania Nargi 3 March, 2010 at 5:45 pm #

Good post, I’ve sent this page onto my family – we all need to read this right now.

6. Marc Glass 10 May, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

Superb read, I just passed this onto a roommate who was performing a little investigation on that. And he really bought me lunch because I found it for him. So allow me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!