Virgin app to help the flying fearful

Virgin Atlantic Airways has got into the act on mobile phone applications with the launch of its “highly acclaimed” Flying Without Fear course as an app for iPhone or iPod.

virgin_screenshot_01_05.JPGVirgin says the app, which features an introduction by Richard Branson, is designed to help people cope with the anxiety at the prospect of flying and overcome their personal fears.

The app explains questions that people commonly have like “what happens if all the engines fail” or “what are all the onboard noises”.

It has a video-based explanation of a flight from start to finish, relaxation exercises and fear therapy and a fear attack button for emergencies with breathing exercises.

It’s a nice idea to make this mobile from Virgin, and comes with a small price tag of £2.99 (not sure if there is a US$ or € price?)

Now I want someone to invent an app that can tell you if you are sitting near someone was has this app so you can move seat accordingly.

, , ,

8 Responses to Virgin app to help the flying fearful

1. Capt Tom Bunn LCSW 5 November, 2009 at 9:22 pm #

This “app” – like the old Pan Am course from 1975 which I worked with – is based on breathing exercises. Though they help people relax on the ground, for fear of flying they are useless.

Whoever put this cr-app together for Branson didn’t even bother to check the research. (See research at http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/42/13/25).

There are advanced methods for dealing with fear of flying but this isn’t one of them.

2. Mark Pilling 6 November, 2009 at 9:18 am #

Thanks for the comment Tom. I have zero experience of fear of flying so the input of someone who has seen how these things work, or not, at first hand is good to have.

Loved your cr-app comment – clever.

I tried the link but it didn’t go to the specific story I think you were hoping for. I put in fear of flying and got this story…

Further input welcome from those who share Tom’s views or have experience of overcoming (or not) their fear of flying.

3. Mark Pilling 9 November, 2009 at 10:01 am #

Dear All

Here is a note I received from Virgin Atlantic’s PR office in New York:

Hi Mark,
    My name is Laura Kilroy and I work in the Virgin Atlantic U.S. press office.

I saw your post on Flight Global and wanted to let you know the app in the U.S. costs $4.99.

4. King Sol 10 November, 2009 at 5:51 pm #

You said it Tom. You could probably get several drinks at no cost and obtain the same desired feeling of relaxation instead….and you don’t even need to own an “i” anything.

5. Milena 30 November, 2009 at 12:08 pm #

I’m one of those flying fearful. And I know all the “what happens if all the engines fail” stuff. Panic is not something rational. So, although I work on airplane industry and know something on the subject, I’m quite afraid of flying.

Unfortunately I have to tell that, when it comes to panic symptoms, most people will need medicaments. Sorry to disappoint you all, guys.

6. Tim P. Roush 4 February, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

Normally I do not post on blogs, however I would like to voice that this post in fact forced me to do so! really pleasant post.

7. Priscilla E. Bennett 4 February, 2010 at 2:08 pm #

Thank you for your post, and i deem it helps me a lot.

8. sohbet 28 July, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely large for me. I’m looking forward to your next submit, I’ll try to get the hang of it!