Plane spotting down on Maho Beach

I have reached a new low: Making a special trip to take photographs and video of aircraft at an airport.

I do have an excuse: Mike Targett the editor of Flightglobal asked me because he knew I would be in one of the best places in the world to do it, and he knows a lot of our Flightglobal audience love it.

And I’ve got to admit it was fine, especially as there was a beach, sun, beer and chips.

Here are the results, and we’ve got video which we’ll process shortly.

AF_resized.JPG

This first shot is the aircraft most people at Maho Beach in St Maarten were waiting for: an Air France A340. As you can see the beach is narrow and there is a sandy road in between the beach and the runway threshold fence.

The aircraft roar in just metres above the sun-seekers here at this Caribbean island. And the landing spectacle is clearly a popular local attraction.

AF‑2.JPG

There is an old surf board mounted in the sand telling the bar dwellers what time the aircraft are scheduled to arrive.

Stefan_stmaarten1_resized.JPG

And it is not just jetliners of course. Here’s a Winair Twin Otter.

Winair_1.JPG

US Airways makes it in as well.

USAir_1.JPG

And notice those warning signs – here’s a close-up.

Stefan_stmaarten2_resized.JPG

Flightblogger eat your heart out mate!

, , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Plane spotting down on Maho Beach

1. Glen Towler 7 December, 2009 at 6:07 am #

Must admit it looks like the best place in the world to go plane spotting and taking pics maybe when I win the lotto I will go there

2. sbord1 15 December, 2009 at 5:04 am #

I’ve been there several times. Nothing beats a late afternoon , early evening watching the planes come in. Sunset Beach Bar is always the highlight of my trips. St. Maarten very resonable hotel/timeshares. Flights, use miles, greatest way to go.

3. beach hotels 17 January, 2010 at 8:22 pm #

I am looking for some summer job in a nice beach hotel. working hard all day, and partying at the beach each night. Want to join me to gather a group?

4. newborn bath tub 8 March, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Hotel Handicraft, also known as craft work or simply craft, is a type of work where useful and decorative devices are made completely by hand or using only simple tools. Usually the term is applied to traditional means of making goods. The individual artisanship of the items is a paramount criterion, such items often have cultural and/or religious significance. Items made by mass production or machines are not handicrafts.

5. peking handicraft inc 31 March, 2010 at 6:16 am #

Arts and crafts also refers to the Arts and Crafts Movement, a late 19th century design reform and social movement. Its proponents were motivated by the ideals of William Morris and John Ruskin, who proposed that in pre-industrial societies, such as the European Middle Ages, people had achieved fulfillment through the creative process of handicrafts. This was held up in contrast to what was perceived to be the alienating effects of industrial labour.

6. handicraft making in the philippines 3 April, 2010 at 12:18 pm #

A craft fair is an organized event to display crafts by a number of exhibitors. There are also craft shops where such goods are sold.

7. crete hotels 24 May, 2010 at 10:25 am #