Oh joy, new seat covers for me!

SIA A330 cabin.jpg

Singapore Airlines has launched a cabin retrofit programme for its older Boeing 777s, which it says it is going ahead despite the economic situation. Still, some belt-tightening must be expected and that has led to tough decisions by the SIA bosses.

After all, why else would it change the seats only in the first and business class to what is available on the newer 777-300ERs and Airbus A330s? Economy class passengers can live with new seat covers, after all.

For first and business class in-flight entertainment systems, you get new bigger screens that do not tax their eyes. In economy, you can look forward to “updated, more intuitive and user-friendly” systems. Just what I needed.

Hey, I can live with used cushions and the same old in-flight entertainment systems. It could be worse – they could take away my favourite cheese and cream crackers! We, the economy class, should learn to be grateful for the little mercies, I say.

6 Responses to Oh joy, new seat covers for me!

1. airbus seats 18 July, 2009 at 7:22 am #

It’s really nice. comport and relax seats.thanks.

2. Kinbin 19 July, 2009 at 4:03 am #

On the note of cheese and crackers on economy, do they provide a cheese plate with high bake water biscuits, or have they downgraded the processed cheese with local crackers?

3. Siva Govindasamy 20 July, 2009 at 9:45 am #

Cheese plate? You are having a joke, right? Normal cream cheese (which, funny enough, I have taken a liking to) in an aluminium foil and regular crackers.

4. Kinbin 20 July, 2009 at 3:29 pm #

Ahh…if the service is fabulous, then the cheese board and water biscuits in economy ought to be in the offering. hmmm… they appear not to be speciafically catering to economy customers who may one day be first-class paying or at a minimum biz class customers, like yourself.

Phiily cream cheese and regular crackers. That must surely be one up from the processed cheese spread and oily and salty crackers from Kraft.

5. Spacman 23 July, 2009 at 3:39 am #

so are they still going to ask for your 1st born when up-grading.

The new product is good but they are greedy buggers with the point – why doesn’t everyone ban together and boycott SQ until they wake up and realise frequent flyer points are customer loyalty programme and it would be nice to be valued and not bent over

6. Siva Govindasamy 23 July, 2009 at 11:20 am #

Ha, that is because most people realise that the SQ product is still very good. And I am having big issues with their frequent flyer programme as I say that.

You have a choice, at the end of the day. I just scouted around and found a better deal elsewhere! But I will still want to fly SQ if I can.