Welcome to our relaunched blog – here are some other good aviation blogs

This is my first attempt at posting using our new Movable Type blogging platform. Hope you agree it looks a whole lot better than what we had before.

I thought I’d start off by linking to the best of the aviation sites that I personally follow. I’m pretty discerning and frankly there are only a few that I’ve found to be really useful. I’d be delighted to hear about any others though.

First, the two heavyweight US air transport sites: Addison Schonland at IAG, and Scott Hamilton at Leeham. Addison posts more frequently – one of the rare guys who more or less always posts daily, and Scott is a long-time AT observer who posts less frequently, but trades quantity for quality.

There’s Boeing marketing chief Randy Baseler of course, who I think has been easing up on posts too (might be wrong, but feels that way), but is obviously important to pay attention to. Still nothing from Airbus sadly.

I also quite like Flight Level 390 when I’ve got time for something a bit more mellow, occasionally Cockpit Conversation, and sometimes Aviation Views (more views, less news please).

The Aviatrix Logbook is one of the more readable pilot blogs but, even though my work only touches on the fringe of business aviation just now, I’m a big fan of Sulako’s Blog. Unlocking writing talent like that is one of the blogosphere’s great achievements.

Land and Hold Short is great on the lighter end of aviation in what can be a challenging part of the world, and Eclipse Aviation Critic very intelligently does exactly what it says on the tin.

Blogging at FL250 is great stuff for wanabee pilots, although I could do without the travelogue stuff.

There are a couple of areas that I like to keep in touch with, but don’t need to examine in detail for my job – so for defence I dip into the intriguing Naval Open Source Intelligence, which is mostly second-hand news and no views, but that’s fine for me. And for India – where it’s damn hard to keep up with events these days – I always check Touch Base with Indian A&D Industry.

Finally, because of my job I read media stuff of course – mostly my boss Jim Muttram’s exemplary blog Inflection Point, and The Editors Weblog. There are a zillion others, but I’ve got a day job!

And finally, finally – if you are interested in what other media think about what we’re doing here in our company then today we got some heavyweight coverage from The Guardian. Tomorrow our parent company Reed Elsevier releases its 2006 financials – so we’ll get a little indication as to whether we’re doing the right sort of thing. I suppose blogs contribute about one-zillionth of our revenues but, hey, we’ve got to start somewhere.

9 Responses to Welcome to our relaunched blog – here are some other good aviation blogs

1. curson 14 February, 2007 at 6:28 pm #

Nice round-up of blogs and resources. A very good way of starting the new platform :)
    Never even have to mention how much this looks nicer than the previous setting, a really good choice and a really nice theme. Keep up the amazing work!

2. Anon 14 February, 2007 at 6:57 pm #

There are other sites in addition to these listed above, such as FleetBuzz.com- which also provides a comprehensive forum for aviation enthusiasts to discuss topical industry issues, as well as the personal blogs that the site has.

3. Mary Jo 14 February, 2007 at 10:56 pm #

Congrats on the relaunch, Addison.

New look, but same great material.

4. Curtis 15 February, 2007 at 2:42 pm #

Nice upgrade folks, like the new look. Just updated my links for you guys as well. Thanks for the mention on Aviation Views and note taken…more views less news ;)

5. Sulako 15 February, 2007 at 8:37 pm #

I’m glad you enjoy the blog. I mostly write it for my mother so I can share the mundane details of my day, but if you get some pleasure out of it, that’s great news.

To me, Cockpit Conversation is still the heavyweight writing champion (no, I’m not calling her fat) of the aviation blogsphere. She excels at the craft, and I would (and do) recommend her blog to anyone who is interested in learning about aviation and/or who enjoys reading a good story.

6. Kobus 18 February, 2007 at 12:35 pm #

Something weird happened, suddenly I gained more visitors on my blog and you’re the cause ;) I’m using my blog as a notepad for my work, I’m trying to keep a database up-to-date.Good luck on your “relaunched blog”, I will visit it every now and again.

7. Rob Mark 20 February, 2007 at 8:32 pm #

Nice list of blogs. Since I started writing mine last year, I’m always on the lookout for other good ones to read, but they can be tough to find. You have quite a few I’ve never even seen before.

I’d also suggest http://www.thirtythousandfeet.com/blogs.htm which offers an excellent list of additional blogs.

Keep up the good work.

8. Isaac Alexander 27 February, 2007 at 7:23 am #

I’d also like to say nice job with the upgraded new look. Bravo!

I’d like to add a couple blogs as well.

Military Aviation News Sites

Commercial Aviation

On another note, I’d love it if Airbus, Bombardier, & Emirates each had a similar blog to Randy’s at Boeing. A good way to stir the pot for discussion if you will between the leading manufacturers.

9. Robert Luedeman 12 March, 2007 at 8:26 pm #

I’m surprised you missed this one:

I think it’s quite good myself….but I am biased.