South African Airways 737 wing tips truck over

This video footage taken by a passenger of a South African Airways

Boeing 737-700
shows the aircraft’s left wing hitting a stationary utility truck and tipping it over while taxing on the apron shortly after arriving into Lusaka International airport from Johannesburg.

, ,

7 Responses to South African Airways 737 wing tips truck over

1. Tamirat 2 January, 2008 at 2:40 pm #

Hi
    I watched this clip and wondered if B737-200 can be fitted with winglets.Probably the incident happened on B737-700 or other new generation series that has winglets.

2. Barbara Cockburn 2 January, 2008 at 3:20 pm #

According to the article on livelink.com it is a Boeing 737-700.

3. Addison 2 January, 2008 at 10:27 pm #

Its a 737-800

4. Andre van Staden 3 January, 2008 at 11:04 am #

SAA does not have B737-700 on its fleet, most B737-200s have been phased out some still do Cargo only, then some 300s for Cargo as well, and then 800s for Domestic & Africa Regional flights.

I’m pretty sure that a B737-200 could be retro fitted with winglets, they do it on B727s.

5. sam 4 January, 2008 at 12:48 pm #

I have been to Lusaka airport and i think the parking bays at the airport are a little messy. There is almost no transistion from the taxi way to the parking bays. I am not suprised this accident happened – probably a wake up call for the Lusaka authorities to be better organsied

6. Jim M.+ 4 July, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

The plane was probably retrofitted with winglets. This sight has lots of info and links on the subject.

7. The mystic 15 October, 2009 at 8:57 am #

for me I think the taxyway at the airport is to small or not organise. Because when taxying on the yellow line everything from the plane are secure. And if you nicely watch the video you can see the truck was out of the line. So is normal for me that the wing hits the truck.