Flying Car A Reality

POCFlightImg203G.jpgWhat’s that? It is a plane, is it a car? Well, it’s both. Remember those childhood dreams you had of flying in your car. Careering at speed down the road, and then suddenly a super-engine comes out the back, and you blast off into the skies, avoiding the traffic below.

Well, this vehicle comes quite close. Terrafugia, a small, privately-owned business, has developed a car, which, put simply, really can fly.

TransitionRoad.jpgThe car is able to travel 740km at a speed of 185kph whilst up in the air, about a fifth of what a normal plane can achieve. The wings are fold-out, so when you land at the airport, you can fold them up, and then drive out of the airport. Unfortunately, you won’t be allowed to just take off randomly in the middle of a road, so taking off has to be kept to airports, for the moment at least.

And there will be no need to buy special gas; it will run on a single tank of regular unleaded gas and will be released in America next year.

When on the ground, the car uses front-wheeled drive, and has a roll-cage and airbags. It will not be very economic however, with a 30mpg rate, plenty of money will have to be spent on fuel. It can however, achieve highway speeds should you wish. You also do not need to leave the vehicle to unfold or fold the wings, as it can all be done within the cockpit, like a retractable roof on a super-car.

Overall, it may have its faults, it may be quite expensive to buy and run, and it could well cause some extra air traffic, but this is definitely the car of the future, now. The aircraft is much more convenient than having to go to the airport, checking in, waiting in the terminal and finally boarding the plane. With the Terrafugia, you can book your place early, and then arrive and go.

Flightglobal’s business and general aviation editor Kate Sarsfield reports that Terrafugia has secured US approval to boost the maximum take-off weight of its Transition roadable light sport aircraft by 50kg (110lb) to 650kg, the same limit already allowed for LSA seaplanes.

By Joel Foreman from Sutton Grammar School currently doing work experience with Flightglobal

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Flying Car A Reality

1. Bob Beresh 2 July, 2010 at 5:17 am #

Driving on the road, it kind of looks like a VW Beetle! How far we’ve come.

2. Fred 5 July, 2010 at 9:02 am #

185MPH is fast for a single engine light aircraft. Funny, I never saw a flying VW Beetle in the 70′s before. Wait, there was that saturday night…

3. Greg F 6 July, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

Who says that 30 miles per gallon is “bad” gas mileage? That along with “1/5th” comment on the speed tells me our reporter was dropped on her head, and that they have no editors on staff.

4. Richard A. Strong 15 July, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

I cordially invite you to see my StrongMobile Flying Car Project at http://www.strongware.com/dragon. The video of the mockup model is really fascinating! Rich Strong (Major,USAF,Retired)

5. Diego 16 August, 2010 at 9:26 am #

I suggest we all start reinforcing our roofs if this vehicle is sold to anyone with 20 hrs of flight experience

6. Henry Orumgbe 6 September, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

Please send me a user picture and the price details of the flying car.This will enable me to have full detials of the technology demostrated in the production of the modern flying cars.
    I think that this is a good breakthrough. I need the following information of the flying car .
    1. Engine capacity, 2. passenger capacity. 3. speed 4. landing ability this includes where it land. 5 mode of operation.
    6 stability issue.
    Thanks,
    Henry

7. Barbara Cockburn 6 September, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

Hello Henry
    You can find more information from Terrafugia’s website http://www.terrafugia.com/
    or Flightglobal’s content about Terrafugia’s flying car: http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/terrafugia.html

8. Steven 1 November, 2010 at 5:02 am #

I sure hope this flying car can actually fly for I can feel comfortable living in other country.

9. Jason 23 March, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Have they made one any smaller than that one like a today type of car, maybe you should try a Limo or a Bus..

10. why not try this out 18 August, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Excellent weblog here! Additionally your website quite a bit
    up very fast! What host are you using? Can I
    get your affiliate link for your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol