It was on this day in 1982 that the world learned, in dramatic fashion, precisely what kind of damage tropopausal volcanic ash can do to an aircraft.
In the archive: the original article: "I don't believe it... all four [engines] have failed..."
- Capt Eric Moody, pilot-incommand of the British Airways Boeing 747 which suffered total engine failure, tells David Learmount what happened that night.
- More about Capt. Eric Moody's experience that night.
On the Iceland Volcano...
- Ash cloud leaves lessons to be learned
- VIDEO: David Learmount analyses the volcanic dilemma
- More on the Icelandic ash cloud...
- LIVE UPDATES: (at the time) of the chaos caused to the aviation industry including satellite images, images of the cloud from the air and the ground, video footage and more interesting links