Pan Am TV series takes you back to when flying was the fun part of travel

Pan-Am-abc.jpgRemember when you could smoke in the aircraft cabin? Remember when the cockpit door was always open and you could request to go and have a chat with the pilot? Remember when you could show up five to 10 minutes before your flight, purchase your ticket and go, and air hostesses were hired for their looks over their other attributes?

Well sadly, it’s all a bit before my time, but the 1960s was a different era. Flying was the fun part of getting to your destination, if you can believe that. Imagine a world without security checks?

Air travel was for the few not for the many. Air fares were extortionate back then.

A new television series is about to start in the US called Pan Am on ABC this Autumn and will land on UK screens on BBC2 sometime soon.

Sleepy Hollow actor Christina Ricci who plays stewardess Maggie said: “A big part of the flying experience during the era of “Pan Am” was the stewardesses.

“These stewardesses were looked at as glamorous symbols.” And little girls aspired to being one when they grew up.

Pan Am facebook page

Is this a Mad Men (HBO) spin off? Maybe yes, but as long as the writer gets everything right and the storyline and dialogue is believable, then it won’t receive such criticism as the writer of the UK’s The Hour about a British newsroom set in the 1950s who had to admit “anachronisms”.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Pan Am TV series takes you back to when flying was the fun part of travel

1. Mentifex 24 August, 2011 at 10:43 pm #

If I had my choice among “Coffee, Tea or Me?”, I would take None of the Above and choose this excellent blogpost instead, because it has just the details I need to send a major e-mail to my ex-Pan-Am-flight-steward brother teaching English overseas. For several days now I have been watching ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings and Diane Sawyer and the scintillating ads for “Pan Am!” starting on September 25th have been prompting me to tell my Pan Am brother all about the new show. My brother Gromz was stationed in London UK as a flight steward flying all over the world, to places as far away as the Taj Mahal in India. His life could have been an episode-script for the Pan Am story. For instance, he got involved with a Dutch stewardess. For another instance, he got in the habit of gambling at all the Pan-Am-reachable casinos of Europe. Hopefully, the series will eventually be available on Hulu or Microsoft-Guilty-Pleasure-Channel for viewing by all the legions of former Pan Am stewards and stewardesses now scarttered to the winds. This movie, er, I mean, series, promises to take over where “Catch Me If You Can” leaves off. I hope the series is at least as enjoyable as all the neat advance announcements have been. Signing off now with a yelp of “Sixties Forever!!!” – Arthur

2. Rose 24 August, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

I can’t wait to see this!! I was with Air Canada during that time and the industry was so much fun. We were still flying the turbojets out of Idlewild the (quansit huts ) as they were called. Hope it brings back lots of memories for those of us still around to remember.

Rose Marcel

3. Star 7 September, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

I can’t believe that you airing a show about the most prejudice company every. Pan Ass would not hire women of color to work on their flights. Most people in the African American community know this and wouldn’t watch your show if they filmed in it in their very own backyard, but than again you wouldn’t give a damn. Catch a clue, many of us are tired of TV showcasing prejudice acts right up front.

4. Mindi 8 September, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

I grew up as an airline brat with both parents working for TWA so PanAm was a dirty word in my world but I am looking forward to this show, slanted though it may be! it was a great way to grow up – heck, I had been around the world twice by the time I was 10 years old and lived in 3 foreign countries. Those were happy days…

5. JEFF 16 September, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

Hope the portray the “boyfriend or girlfriend in every city” while haveing a family at home aspect of the job, as SOO many in the industry DID and DO now.

6. bri 25 October, 2011 at 10:29 am #

have been waiting since ‘sky king’ well a long time for this one the flight syms are supurb an aspect to antiisipate week to week like the crew -already – very much no favourite strwardess as each has been portraid individually what drives me wild are items featuring the pan am logo the bags as example in the last episode highlighting monte carlo
    on the return flight a passenger asks for a blanket and magie ryan drapes him with a beautiful royal blue blanket would kill for it shall point out that the aircraft itself is alawys a part of the crew and a part of the story assume this to be a boeing 707 -200 as intercontinentals came later could some one clarify this point that this is in fact a dash 200 spotted a mix up re first episode in havan back shot clearly shows a drear dc three tail drager while front angle shot is a dc seven shshsh keep it down to hear the call sign ‘clipper’ again wow uniforms are authentic sunday evening telrvision is indeed exciting once more

– purrr -