Photo: 787 Raked Blended Winglet

13 Responses to Photo: 787 Raked Blended Winglet

1. Anonymous April 30, 2009 at 11:43 am #

Those are a lot of static discharge wicks! Are they all permanent?

I also like the little spear of wing which juts out between the flaps :D

2. Trapperpk April 30, 2009 at 12:04 pm #

What no engine! Or is its big bad HP hiding in the shadows- or is this not ZA001?

3. lasg April 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

Great pics tks. When do tou think we will see it under the sun Jon? give us a hint!!! lol, tks.

4. jensonT April 30, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

I believe that little spear of wing is between the outboard flap and aileron. Wonder what Boeing calls them. The A320 has them as well (two per wing – inboard and outboard), and they are known as falseworks.

5. engineer April 30, 2009 at 3:25 pm #

My guess is, its missing an engine under that wing because its an old picture.

6. Jon Ostrower April 30, 2009 at 4:49 pm #

Hey guys, very much a current picture. Took it with my phone this afternoon. The engines are very much on and surrounded by the paint tooling ramps. I was RIGHT next to the winglet when I took this, so the perspective is very skewed. It is a BEAUTIFUL wing though and my pictures will be up soon.

Jon

7. Niyoko April 30, 2009 at 5:07 pm #

Jon,

That is a nice and crazy angle of ZA001. What is that on the edge of the winglet? It looks like a large piece of electronics…Was that there before? I don’t see it on the pictures of ZA002 or previous pictures this plane.

Oh and I have to agree, lol. It does look like there are no engines, even the shadows are hard to see. But i believe you if you say there are there, haha.

8. Clay April 30, 2009 at 7:29 pm #

I think the bit of electronics on the wingtip is the strobe. Are they starting to use LED’s now? Also my best guess for the spear between the aileron and flap is the fuel-dump line. I’ve seen it on the 767-300ER’s, but they don’t form the boundary between control-surfaces on that so it’s not so obvious. The wing just looks so beautifully smooth and elegantly simple.

9. engineer May 1, 2009 at 3:54 am #

Clay, you are right it is the fuel-dump line or most commonly known as the fuel jettison nozzle.

10. worker bee May 7, 2009 at 5:46 pm #

It is an LED light on the end of the wing tip

11. V S Saxena December 15, 2009 at 9:58 pm #

Can any one please advise me why the engine cowling of B-787 Deamliner does not have straight cut trailing edge. Instead it has a design like perforation on the edge of postage stamps.

12. Barry June 19, 2010 at 5:36 am #

VS Saxena, it is to lower noise. the idea was copied from the trailing edge of the wings of owls, which, as you know, fly very quietly as they swoop on their prey.

13. watch free films December 22, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Jeez, it’s unusual to find such a great posting