787, 747-8 could fly on the same day

In a strange cosmic coincidence, 747-8 (RC501) and 787 (ZA001) could fly on the same day, or at least Boeing is thinking they may:

Boeing ready to handle simultaneous first flights of 787 and 747-8
By Brendan Sobie

Boeing has decoupled the flight test programmes for the 787 and 747-8, allowing the two new aircraft to potentially take to the skies for the first time simultaneously.

The 787 and 747-8 are both now scheduled to have first flight duringthe fourth quarter, most likely the second half of November or firsthalf of December. To avoid having to slow down one flight testprogramme to keep another on schedule, Boeing has taken theunprecedented step of entirely separating the two flight testprogrammes and allocating each with a dedicated set of equipment andresources.

Every sign on the 787 front continues to point to a late November first flight target. I’m not necessarily saying that University of Washington and Washington State football fans will have to split their attention, but it may be darn close.

Progress on RC501 has been accelerating as well, with low and high pressure blow tests being conducted earlier this week. The next tests will be to test the flap cable and perform ground vibration tests and prep for the factory gauntlet is also underway. Boeing says that RC501 should go to the flight line in 3-4 weeks.

Programming Note: I’ve been laid up with the flu for the the three days and I’m finally feeling like a human being again. I’ve been working on a big blog feature on my visit to Spirit two weeks ago in Wichita. My goal is to have it up today. Stay tuned.

14 Responses to 787, 747-8 could fly on the same day

1. Vero Venia September 23, 2009 at 12:59 pm #

Was it avian or swine?

2. Jon Ostrower September 23, 2009 at 1:03 pm #

It was the kind the kind that made me feel like I got hit by a dumptruck. Which one is that? I’m decidedly on the mend and quite happy about it.

Jon

3. Peter in Canada September 23, 2009 at 1:16 pm #

Dumptuck flu – I hear those are quite nasty if you back into it!!!!!!!!

4. Brian September 23, 2009 at 1:37 pm #

They should only be allowed to fly on the same day if they takeoff in formation – Blue Angels style.

5. Trapperpk September 23, 2009 at 3:06 pm #

I am still good for 11/26/2009 which is just 787 days after Boeing first effort to fly by the end of third quarter 2007. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :<)

6. Trapperpk September 23, 2009 at 3:08 pm #

I mean this turkey could really fly!

7. alloycowboy September 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm #

I am glad your feeling better Jon. Nice write up on the 747-8 and 787 flyoff. Here is a tip: try drinking a little Gatorade it will bring your electrolyte levels back to normal and make you feel better.

8. Jerry1t September 23, 2009 at 6:17 pm #

Jon,

Glad you are healing…next year get a flu shot!

9. Joker September 23, 2009 at 11:23 pm #

Ok Jon, here’s a lighter side to the flu. Nostradamus predicted that when America gets a black president, pigs will fly – a hundred days after President Obama was sworn in, SWINE FLU (flew)!!
    On a more serious note, a simultaneous take-off, a low fly-by in formation for the media and public would really send a cracker up Airbus’ tail pipe, and also shut up all the critics who didn’t believe in the project for good!!

10. Angelin September 24, 2009 at 2:56 am #

Welcome back, Jon

I’m glad you’re back, waiting with great interest your next update.

Cheers!

11. fitz September 24, 2009 at 9:07 am #

wow! that could be one for the history books! I hope they will have runway girl in her yellow coat help the spotters move the planes out of the flight line.

12. Wes September 24, 2009 at 11:13 am #

It would be a nice sight to see, both first flights on the same day…I think it is very unlikely, however.

13. wuz September 26, 2009 at 12:37 am #

don’t bet anything on the plastic disaster. it was managed by the new mcboeing types, and their own led the engineering teams into making bad design and technical decisions.
    however, since the 747-8 was being designed concurrently, it was left to the outcast older boeing engineers to design and manage. also, it is being built by the same old boeing factory guys. so when it rolls out, it will be a real boeing airplane, and it will fly and be successful.
    the nightmareliner will yield many more unpleasant surprises.

14. Roy Hinds September 29, 2009 at 11:11 am #

In formation perhaps with a pig ?