Travel Day: SEA-DCA

Travel Day: SEA-DCA, originally uploaded by flightblogger.

Well, the week’s a wrap for me. I’m heading back to DC just in time for 5-14 inches of snow. So my weekend plans will consist of some serious indoor R&R. Heading back home on this Alaska Airlines 737-800 (N524AS) and the mountain even managed to make an apperance before I
departed. Still a lot of information to digest after Tuesday’s first flight, so stay tuned for that. Catch you on the East Coast.

13 Responses to Travel Day: SEA-DCA

1. m in Seattle December 18, 2009 at 2:55 pm #

TKs Jon for all the coverage and esp the enthusiasm you bring this site.

One quick question. After the flight, there was a press conference which was broadcast live, with the 2 test pilots answering questions, but I have been unable to find any footage of this now.

Any chance of posting this?

2. Szymon Dembowy December 18, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

Excellent job as always covering this important aviation milestone. And nice to have finally met you in person. Have a safe flight and hope to have more great coverage from you soon.

3. Brad December 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm #

Thanks for the great coverage of the 787 launch.

4. Muso December 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm #

Great to see the success and this is how it started – http://myamazingpeople.com/

5. NIck Stepp December 19, 2009 at 6:52 am #

There is footage of that press conference at the end of the full-length landing video on the 787 First Flight website.

6. Tim December 19, 2009 at 3:50 pm #

The king5 site has half an hour of the post-flight press conference here

7. Dave December 19, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

Jon: I know you may or may not know, but any idea what the schedule is for ZA001 and the other test planes? We obviously saw 001 hit the skies on Monday…has it been back up since? How soon until it gets back up? Any idea how the data from the first flight has meshed with the modeling?

8. Dave B. December 20, 2009 at 12:51 pm #

Hi Jon

Thanks again for your great coverage of the 787 maiden flight. BTW your short video I think has the best sound of any videos posted of the RR trents spooling up & growling away as the plane passes by! Now, what about coverage on the next flight, as well as ZA-002? If I’m not mistaken, she’s scheduled to fly before Christmas as well?

9. Gabriel December 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm #

Hello Jon,

Thanks for the great coverage for Dreamliner 1′s test flight!!

I have the same question as Dave. Any idea or news on when the N787EX might be having its first flight?

10. BennyJ December 20, 2009 at 11:26 pm #

According to some media reports, first flight of the second 787 is scheduled for tomorrow (22nd), only one week after ZA001.

11. Gabriel December 21, 2009 at 12:16 am #

BennyJ: Thanks for you reply! Great! So seems like we are still on scheduled for the 22nd! There hasn’t been any updates on the ZA002 over the weekend so I was just wondering if the dates had change or something. Seems pretty quiet. Nothing on it doing any gauntlet tests or taxi tests.

12. BennyJ December 21, 2009 at 1:36 am #

As far as I know, only a “mini-gauntlet” was planned for ZA002. It won’t go through all the testing that the first plane did. Also, now that first flight has been accomplished, It seems there is much less interest by the media and therefore less coverage :( But let’s see what happens today…

13. bugref December 21, 2009 at 5:11 am #

any update on ZA001 and ZA002?