Quick Take: More questions than answers with eighth 787 schedule

Original Schedule – May 08, October 07 – 4Q08, January 08 – 1Q09
April 08 – 3Q09, December 08 – 1Q10, August 09 – 4Q10,
August 10 – mid-1Q11, January 11 – 3Q11

Boeing has again placed its stake in the ground for the eighth time, marking the third quarter of 2011 for first delivery of its flagship 787 Dreamliner to Japan’s All Nippon Airways, though the company says answers to larger questions will have to wait.

“Anything beyond first delivery is being dealt with at the quarterly results call,” says Boeing.
Boeing’s announcement walks a fine line that addresses the uncertainties around the ”the work we believe remains to be done” and requirements of the FAA, while simultaneously acknowledging the uncertainty by emphasizing that the updated plan adds additional time to the schedule for tests “that may be needed to complete certification activities”.

Here’s a brief list of the vital questions that remain outstanding:
  • Beyond first delivery, how many 787s is the company aiming to deliver in 2011?
  • Will 180 minute ETOPS certification be achieved along with initial FAA/EASA certification?When will the first 787-9 be delivered?
  • Is Boeing’s plan still to reach 10 deliveries per month in 2013?
  • How long will it take to rework the existing 787 fleet beyond the electrical hardware and software changes?
Boeing’s fourth quarter and full year 2010 earnings call is scheduled for January 26.
Photo Credit Moonm

8 Responses to Quick Take: More questions than answers with eighth 787 schedule

1. CBL January 18, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

I am afraid that the answer to your first 3 questions is a sad No.

The fourth one can be easily deduced

2. 87350builder January 19, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Either way, this picture sure is a beaut. Can’t wait to see her in commercial service, someday.

3. Mia92 January 19, 2011 at 10:26 am #

A linear regression of the difference between the announced EIS date and the announcement date indicates thate the difference will be zero sometime in spring 2012.

4. SteinarN January 19, 2011 at 10:38 am #

@Mia92

I was noticing the same thing.
    I have to say the problem with the power panels came as a surprice for me. I really thought they vere on the track to get it sertified. No I’m not so sure anymore if there might be more trouble ahead. I will not be surpriced this time if some more hidden flaws comes to surface.

5. tcl January 21, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

I can’t help but notice none of the fuselages stacked up on flightline, do not have engines. Anyone know status of RR engines and there fixes. It seems to me , critical path (schedulewise) is through these engines.

6. tcl January 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

I can’t help but notice none of the airplanes stacked up on flightline, do not have engines. Anyone know status of RR engines and there fixes. It seems to me , critical path (schedulewise) is through these engines.

7. Disinto January 25, 2011 at 4:10 am #

That’s an embarrassment for Boeing. It really puts their credibility as an aircraft maker at stake.

8. Boeing Rep January 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

@ Disinto:

You didn’t get the memo. Boeing is not an “airplane maker.” We are a “systems integrator.”

Boeing Rep