Archive | AirVenture 2010 RSS feed for this section

remaining747.jpg

Who’s left: The 747-400 Backlog

With last week’s announcement of the 747-8 delay, got me to thinking. Just how many 747-400s are left to be delivered? Boeing originally intended to build 747-400s and 747-8s side by side on the production line in Everett, but decided a year ago to close out the -400 line before launching -8 assembly. The last […]

Continue Reading
Boeing_747-8F_Large.jpg

Boeing delays first 747-8 delivery to 3Q 2010

News of the delay just broke. I was getting word over last 48 hours of something big coming out today, it looks like this is it. No word on when roll out of first flight would be. Though one could speculate that first flight would be late 2009 or early 2010. An industry source tells […]

Continue Reading
00009040.jpg

Question Answered! Northwest 747-400 first to wear Delta colors

Aviation enthusiasts worldwide have been asking one very important question in the last several months. What Northwest aircraft will be painted first in Delta colors? Here’s the answer from the Minneapolis Star Tribune. We’ve answered the who, now all we need is the when! The biggest airplane in Northwest Airlines’ fleet — a Boeing747-400 — […]

Continue Reading
7478f-sec41upperlobe.png

747-8 takes shape with Spirit

You can always count on earnings reports to reveal information that doesn’t always make it into a press release. Spirit Aerosystems released its 3Q earnings report today and they announced the company has completed the upper lobe of  Section 41 for the first 747-8F. Spirit even threw a small picture right in the presentation. It […]

Continue Reading

Movie Monday – October 27 – Inside Boeing’s 747-400

The last few weeks, I’ve used Mondays to feature videos I’ve come across to ease your transition into the work week, kill your productivity and infuriate your boss. What can I say? I’m just doing my part for the global economy. I began to feel that including the video in the Week Ahead Open Thread […]

Continue Reading
lcfblogtweaks.png

Dreamlifter Tracker Updated

In August of 2007, I quietly launched a tracking site for the three (then two) 747 Large Cargo Freighter Dreamlifters. The aircraft are responsible for transporting the wings, fuselage and horizontal stabilizer from around the world to Everett, WA for final assembly. The changes to the blog include an updated tracking metric for 41 different […]

Continue Reading

First 747-8F to wear N747EX

According to the FAA N-number registry, Boeing has reserved N747EX for the first 747-8F. The aircraft, serial number 35808, is destined for Cargolux at the conclusion of the flight test program that is slated to start next year. FAA RegistryN-Number Inquiry Results N747EX is AssignedAircraft Description Serial Number: 35808Manufacturer Name: BOEINGModel: 747-8R7 Type Aircraft: Fixed […]

Continue Reading

September 23 – The Week Ahead Open Thread (one off)

Okay, so it’s Tuesday. The week is still young, so I’m only 24 hours late. So sue me. Introducing AptureAKA what I learned at Blogworld Expo. What is Apture you ask? Essentially, it’s post production for blogs. It’s a new way of interacting with FlightBlogger. Links with icons next to them are enhanced with Apture. […]

Continue Reading

Pratt & Whitney GTF flight testing phase one complete; next stop Airbus

Pratt & Whitney has completed the first phase of flight testing for its Geared Turbofan demonstrator as it prepares to fly the engine with Airbus in September. The GTF demonstrator amassed 43.5 hours over 12 flights that demonstrated the handling characteristics and overall performance of the engine up to 40,000 feet and .85 mach, exploring […]

Continue Reading
Boeing_747-8F_Large.jpg

747-8F production gets underway

Wing panels and wing spars were loaded into assembly tooling in Everett, WA late last week, marking the official commencement of assembly for Boeing’s next generation 747-8 freighter. According to Boeing, 90% of the design of the 747-8F has been released for fabrication. The remaining 10% stems partly from the design of key sections of […]

Continue Reading