Scientists from the Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, USA have presented their findings at the 44th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, that the event that killed the dinosaurs may have been a comet impact rather than a meteorite or asteroid strike.
Tag Archives | Comet strike
A flash of light on the planet Jupiter observed by astronomers on 11 September may have been a comet strike. The initial sighting announcement was made by astronomer Dan Peterson of Racine, Wisconsin, who contactred other astronomers. A short movie clip of the “strike” taken by astronomer George Hall based in Dallas, Texas, has now been made publically available at http://georgeastro.weebly.com/jupiter.html
Since the famous strike by comet Shoemaker-Levy 9, which broke up and impaced Jupiter in July 1994, comet and asteroid strikes on Jupiter have now been discovered to be a regular occurence. Our sister outfit New Scientist lists recent occurrences.
Cookies & Privacy
- Hyperbola space news blog moves to www.seradata.com
- Antares 120 launch vehicle successfully lofts Cygnus cargo craft plus a Flock of Dove satellites (Corrected)
- International Space Station gets new lease of life as ESA eyes Dream Chaser to get there
- Solaris is sold to Echostar as it builds an S-band business
- SpaceX has another commercial flight success with Falcon 9 v1.1 launch of Thaicom-6
- Bill on India’s unmanned Mars mission announcement causes backlash
- ブーツ 超歓迎 on Expect Augustine’s options to be ignored by Obama
- 超歓迎 靴 on Expect Augustine’s options to be ignored by Obama
- buy youtube views on Expect Augustine’s options to be ignored by Obama
- カナダグース ダウン 検査合格 on Expect Augustine’s options to be ignored by Obama