The last but weighty word in airfares: Derrie-Air

6a00d8341c2cc953ef00e552eb0c5c8833-800wi.jpg

They’ll do anything to off-load a few pounds, or kilometres, or whatever measure you use to measure weight. But some think the airlines should perhaps start charging passengers by weight. Some folks were vaguely serious about this concept, with our friend Bob Mann of R.W. Mann and Associates being quoted by Bloomberg as sort of endorsing the concept. Bloggers picked it up and ran with it, although one newspaper, the Memphis Commercial Appeal, could barely hide its mirth in debunking the story. (The Appeal had some help from a friend.)

Now comes Derrie-air. You can figure out your fare quite easily, simply by knowing your weight. For instance, Philadelphia to Chicago, it’s $1.40 a pound, but to Denver, it’s $1.60 a pound. And this is a fabulous carrier, with  golden-age Rat Pack films, top-shelf vodka Martinis, on-demand video blackjack, spacious private washrooms outfitted with porcelain fixtures and gilded faucets, gourmet snacks, on-board masseuses, loofah scrubs and, of course, digital cable!”

Derrie-air (‘derriere,’ get it?) and was founded by Dick Derrie. His genius stems from his childhood, because “his father was a fisherman, (and) as a child, Dick ate nothing but line-caught Mississippi fish. This unusual diet flooded his brain with Omega-3 fatty acids, to which he credits his remarkable business acumen.”

Aha, you say, this can’t be true and no, it isn’t. The ad is a spoof, run on one-time basis by the agency that runs the two Philadelphia papers, the Inquirer and Daily News. Their point: look at how much attention newspaper print ads can get. But you sort of have to ask, would this work for Thelma’s Ford? or Melissa’s Menswear?

, , , ,

8 Responses to The last but weighty word in airfares: Derrie-Air

1. fish oil omega3 January 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

I found a web site is Thailand that sells those fish oil capsules that take care of the fatty acids. I am not sure that they are safe to eat but I am tempted by the cost. Any suggestion how to have better control over the food safety of my diet supplements?

2. fish oil omega3 January 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

The prices of fish oil products has risen significantly. I am giving my child 2 capsules a day to help him with math. Does anybody know where I an find an cheap solution? By the way, it is great. His grade went up 2 grades after consuming fish oil capsules.

3. Link Building November 8, 2010 at 12:08 am #

This is the best blog I’ve ever seen in my life! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to share your this with everyone.

4. obrazy sprzedaz November 14, 2010 at 4:43 am #

I have been following an blog with regard to now and I should say I am starting to like your post.

5. Link Building December 14, 2010 at 7:43 am #

Kudos to you! This is a really good blog here and I love your style of writing. How did you get so good at blogging?

6. Link Building Services December 15, 2010 at 11:48 am #

You make blogging look like a walk in the park! I’ve been trying to blog daily but I just cant find writing material.. you’re an inspiration to me and i’m sure many others!

7. Harry Bichel December 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

8. Buy Links December 21, 2010 at 6:35 am #

Way to focus and straight to your point, i love it. Keep up the work people. Dont let anyone stop us bloggers.