O’Leary: we weren’t kidding about airport check-in.

Ryanair-Check-In.jpgWe didn’t believe him when Michael O’Leary came out and began moving his lips. He was yakking about how Ryanair was going to start charging people to use its on-board lavatories (oh the headlines!) and then said while it was improving customer comfort this way, his airline would get rid of airport check-in counters. Everybody would have to check in on line, O’Leary said.

Well, he was serious, at least about the airport part. Ryanair now officially plans to eliminate its airport check-in by October. You will have to check in from home, and the airport will only offer a drop desk where you can check your bags (for a fee).

As we reported or posted, Spirit Airlines down in Florida said it was thinking about taking this step, and Air Asia

card.jpg

tells our colleagues in Singapore that in a few years, it too would be an all-Internet check-in carrier. Ryanair isn’t stopping there: it just opened a competition in which its flyers can suggest the next thing to charge for. Among the most interesting entries, according to the carrier’s Stephen McNamara: charging for toilet paper, each sheet of which would have an image of O’Leary imprinted. There’s also the concept to the left.

, , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to O’Leary: we weren’t kidding about airport check-in.

1. Anthony Moor May 9, 2009 at 9:09 am #

M. O’Leary says he doesn’t give a ‘Shite’ what people think about him.

Should we call it ShiteAir!

2. can i get a loan November 11, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine. Did you acquired lots of links and I see lots of trackbacks??

3. Howl Gordon November 21, 2010 at 4:52 am #

You have some really great unique ideas!

4. watch tv shows online December 3, 2010 at 11:51 am #

thanks.

5. Andrew Pelts December 23, 2010 at 12:46 am #

This is such a fantastic resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing internet websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It’s the old what goes around comes around routine. Regards…

6. Steve Ugaz December 27, 2010 at 5:00 am #

I was just told about my redundancy today so I am now officially unemployed. Your post, however, gave me something interesting to think about. Thanks for the post!

7. arka sıradakiler izle April 8, 2013 at 5:37 am #

Where is link?

8. öğretmen kemal izle April 8, 2013 at 5:37 am #

link please :( ((

9. tipo October 23, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet
    I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website
    owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much
    more useful than ever before.