A very quick Q&A with US Airways on its Gogo plan

Just got some answers from US Airways to a few quick questions about its Gogo equipage plan. Here ya go…

Q After the A321s, what fleet type will be equipped?
A We’re evaluating potential further fleet types but no plans right now. We’ll work with Aircell and, of course, customer feedback in laying out a future roadmap.

Q Does US Air intend to roll this out on its entire domestic fleet?
A See above.

Q Does it have a timeline for doing that?
A See above.

Q Why Gogo? Did Aircell review Row 44 and other provider’s offerings?
A Gogo has a proven product our customers can rely on. In addition, many customers are likely to be familiar and comfortable with the Gogo system because it is used by most major airlines. The system is the lightest available, requires minimal space on the aircraft and is installed overnight, making it a sound investment in a challenging revenue environment.

Q How about overseas flying? Gogo is for domestic, but is US Air looking into satellite-based connectivity for its overseas flights?
A Nothing to add on the overseas front right now.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to A very quick Q&A with US Airways on its Gogo plan

1. Dave July 23, 2009 at 1:54 pm #

You should have asked US Airways if they have plans in the future to not suck. They’re possibly the worst airline operating in all of North America- when I was still in Philly, it was a nightmare-everything was US Air. There was no escape… but being from Lancaster, I’m sure you know this all too well.

2. Mary Kirby July 23, 2009 at 2:08 pm #

It is like you can read my mind (scary). I’m writing a follow-up that goes a bit deeper. Are you sure you’re not one of my ex-hubbys, Dave 1 or Dave 2? :)

3. Dave July 23, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

Indeed- however, I don’t possess any latent telepathic powers- at least none that I know of. Thought that would be pretty awesome if I did.

Also, I’m reasonably confident that we have never been married- so mostly probably, I am neither Dave 1 or Dave 2.

In fact, I believe most of our interaction has either been through this blog and occasionally on Facebook.

4. The Sarge July 23, 2009 at 3:18 pm #

Dave…you obviously haven’t been to DC, ORD, DEN, SFO or LAX. Have you ever flown the nation’s 4th largest airline, also known as United?

They can take a patent out on idiocy and stupidity. Be sure to sample their complete apathy for the customer, nickel & diming, dinosaur fleet of aircraft and complete lack of understanding what “on-time” arrivals and departures. Oh, and they have about $5 in available capital.

Be sure to check them out before God has mercy on their mess of a brand and sends them to the abyss (not Detroit).

Hey Mary…I see a Dave 3 in your future! What’s another marriage?! Be a lady of adventure!

5. Dave July 23, 2009 at 3:34 pm #

Used to live in DC, SFO, and LAX… been to all of the rest mention above. Wasn’t knocking Philly, its a awesome city-but the airport blows.

I can honestly say I’ve only ever had one bad experience with United, but I usually end up flying Continental or Delta by bizarre coincidence- that is IF I have to fly. I’ll take AMTRAK for my usual travels, it’s much better.

Awesome as Mary is, please refrain from volunteering me to marry her in future, if it’s not too much trouble that is. I mean I barely know the her… getting hitched is big step.

6. sir peter levenforenstinson July 23, 2009 at 3:47 pm #

Sarge,

UScareways is the worst airline ever. well almost Messed Every Single Airline MESA is the worst. Hopefully when GOGO is installed on the A321s they will be tied in to the Control Alt Delete future and not the ditching button. I am also curious if Dougweiser will have the launch home page setup to budweiser.com or skyhighairlines.com.

Dave,

I am guessing they have no plan not to not suck. have you seen the new C product on their A330 and A340s? I think Pan Am had better seats on the Clipper service. Hell I think the wicker chairs UA had on the DC-3s are better. I rather sit on the burlap mail sacks that Varney was flying from Boise to Pasco, WA in the 20s.

Let us know about the wedding plans for Dave 3.

SPL

7. Dave July 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm #

But I’d really rather not be betrothed…

8. Bob July 23, 2009 at 6:31 pm #

Hey Mary,

Here’s a question for you: can a *viable* business model be built around connectivity for a regional airline? I think not.

9. Mary Kirby July 23, 2009 at 9:10 pm #

For a regional airline on its own? Not at this point.

I don’t think anything is certain about the connectivity business model at this point (that’s not to say that RWG doesn’t love her in-flight Wi-Fi, because she does).

I admire US carriers for – finally – taking a bold leap into relatively unchartered territory.

But after attending last week’s WAEA event, I can say that nobody seems to really know what will work either. (There are, as you’d expect, A LOT of educated guesses out there, however.)

Lufthansa thinks Ku-band-based connectivity on overseas flights can become a viable business model. If anything is going to become viable, high-speed on long-haul widebodies probably has the best shot.

The exact opposite – short haul on regional jets – would face more serious odds especially if implemented on a standalone regional (think expense to equip, size/weight of antenna and equipment, length of time before you’d see any return on investment, etc).

However, if a carrier like Delta – which is equipping its mainline fleet with Gogo – wants to compete one-to-one with AirTran on certain routes, then it will have to seriously consider Wi-Fi for its regional partners because AirTran flies 717s and 737s on some routes flown by Delta Connection.

So therein lies the catch 22 – In-flight connectivity is becoming the price of doing business but at what price to airlines?