Latches, window shades, lighting, oh my. Simpliflying the 787!

Forget about the chronic delays of the Boeing 787 for a moment and head on over to the Simpliflying web site for an exclusive tour of the cabin mock-up by Boeing exec Colleen Rainbolt as well as Simpliflying’s assessment of the tour. Rainbolt expertly explains why the aircraft will be a brand differentiator.

, , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Latches, window shades, lighting, oh my. Simpliflying the 787!

1. richardo cabeza July 7, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

9 across?! Oh dear god…shiva h. vishnu. What bloody hell that would be..

2. Mary Kirby July 7, 2009 at 4:02 pm #

The eight-abreast configuration originally proposed by Boeing didn’t seem to interest airlines (unfortunately). Eight-abreast would have been much more comfortable. Check out page 14 of the following link for a visual.

3. Sioux City Sue July 7, 2009 at 6:54 pm #

Colleen Rainbolt is NOT an executive!

4. Mary Kirby July 7, 2009 at 7:00 pm #

Okay. Not in the strictest sense. She is, according to her LinkedIn bio, Regional Director – Passenger Satisfaction & Revenue at The Boeing Company. Whatever her title, she was excellent in this video.

5. Niyoko July 8, 2009 at 3:18 am #

I really liked when she said, “…the experience…” I really think the game changing element that the 787 is going to bring is the experience for the passenger.

What we have lost is some of the magic of flying. Sure flying today is still exciting, but a lot of the design has become more utilitarian. The only “big” changes I’ve heard of before the 787 is increased baggage space and head room. Those are nice, but did they really make you feel more wow’d or amazed with the flight? ..”flight” being the keyword.

You can really see how the 787 is looking to focus on the flight experience with increased window sizes, dimming windows, mood lighting, and that great entry way that sets mood for the flight.

What I didn’t like to hear was how that great entry way is an option that airliners can choose…I can see some forgetting about the experience of it and thinking of how many seats they can fit in if they remove it. >.<

6. Dave July 8, 2009 at 4:08 am #

I’m not sure how much difference this stuff with the interior makes… these airliners are essentially cattle-cars ultimately. Making it all pretty isn’t going to make a long haul flight any less of a nightmare. The real difference comes from the entertainment systems and free flowing booze… Ideally, we can’t have some sort of hibernation chamber, I’d like something like Darth Vader’s capsule that he had on that gigantic space battleship of his in Empire Strikes Back.

Incidentally, is it just me or is Colleen kinda cute for an engineer? I mean she ain’t matching the skanky goodness that is Megan Fox or anything…

7. Dave July 8, 2009 at 4:12 am #

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, instead of screwing around with the interiors perhaps they should concentrate on basics.. you know like getting this thing to fly. It’s like Boeing became the Ralph Wigum of the aviation world over last couple of years.