Nearly 70% of airlines plan to invest in connectivity: study

If you haven’t done so already, head on over to SITA’s web site and check out CEO Francesco Violante’s speech today at the Air Transport IT summit.

He has loads of interesting things to say, but for the IFE&C crowd, here is the big news:  Some 68% of airlines plan to invest in IP broadband connectivity both to and from aircraft over the next three years, according to a joint survey conducted by Airline Business and SITA.

Says Violante:

The mobile passenger is connected onboard via the technology already available – for example, by OnAir – as we will hear later today.

The aircraft will become another ‘NODE ON THE NETWORK’. A FLYING DATA CENTRE linked through wireless broadband to an airline’s ground-based network.

High-speed upload capabilities will produce time-savings and operational efficiencies in areas such as software loading and in-flight entertainment loading.

The huge volumes of data generated by e-enabled aircraft will be used to improve aircraft turnaround – and give us the CO2 data necessary to measure our environmental performance.
These are not distant scenarios!

So, if you are an airline and you haven’t thought about your connectivity strategy yet, don’t you think it’s time?

, , , , , ,

6 Responses to Nearly 70% of airlines plan to invest in connectivity: study

1. Dave July 1, 2009 at 6:16 pm #

Well, I don’t care that much about reporting environmental data… but this does sound like the day where I can connect to Xbox Live while flying is fast approaching. And really, isn’t that what matters?

Don’t get me wrong- I care about the environment. But, if imprison me in flying metal tube for 8 hours, the only thing I care about is alcohol and entertainment- though I’ve had this discussion without before on facebook.

2. alloycowboy July 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm #

Hey Mary,

How about a chart with all the major airlines on the side, and all the connectivity companies on the top so we see which airline is going with which company. It would basiclly an in flight connectivity scoreboard. Thanks!

3. Mary Kirby July 2, 2009 at 7:57 am #

That’s a great idea. I’ve been given the all-clear to attend WAEA’s upcoming connectivity workshop in Everett so I’ll do a lot of news gathering there and come back with the goods. Of course, if Boeing could figure a way to get the 787 into the sky on July 14 or 15, I wouldn’t complain, but Jon says not to look for it until the fall :(

4. Dave July 2, 2009 at 5:03 pm #

Fall? Jon must be an optimist… With the way Boeing has managed to screw up the 787 project, I’d say next year… It’s amazing how they managed to seize defeat from the jaws of victory.

5. Mary Kirby July 2, 2009 at 5:58 pm #

I stopped paying really close attention at about the third delay…God bless the journos, including Jon, who have covered this from the beginning. It must be exhausting.

6. Ludwig von Hapsburg XII "Stinky" July 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm #

Guys

Stop acting like a bunch of circus animals.

Boeing is satisfied with merely having a pretty looking aircraft (in ANA livery) parked on the tarmac at Everett. You guys don’t really think they intended for it to fly, did you?

My $$$ is on the 748i making its proving flight first? Come on? Let’s see some money on the table?

“Stinky”