The man with the notebook is LiveTV CEO Nate Quigley

JetBlue Airways subsidiary LiveTV knows it is ”the voice in the wilderness” on passenger-pay models for in-flight broadband right now. While the company is well aware there is “a lot of interest” in in-flight connectivity, it believes not many people are really digging around to find out what is really happening and why. Digging around for what, I ask?

How about hard and fast user stats, for example.

I can tell you that those stats are not the easiest thing to come by, although Virgin America was pretty candid about its user rates in a recent article that ran on Flight Global’s new dedicated IFE&C channel.

I’m trying to get a better sense of the facts myself by running an IAG survey about in-flight Wi-Fi interest, which asks – what pricing option best suits your needs? I intend to write about the results so PLEASE take one minute to fill this baby out. http://survey.iag-inc.com/interview.cfm?id=126

Nate.jpg

But back to LiveTV. Company CEO Nate Quigley yesterday responded to my blog about MIT Professor Hansman‘s comment that smartphones are changing the passenger experience.

Quigley left a lengthy comment on the blog (reprinted below in its entirety), after stepping off a Gogo-equipped Delta 757. His is just one assessment but it does provide some good food for thought.

As you know, we at LiveTV don’t necessarily disagree with the good Professor Hansman – at least not on all of his points. “At Home in the Air” will definitely involve wi-fi broadband and personal electronic devices. Of course we also believe that “At Home” will certainly include a screen in every seatback.

I wish Victoria would have asked Professor H what his living room looks like. I bet he’s got wi-fi….AND, I bet he’s got a screen positioned at a comfortable angle directly across the room from his sofa. In fact, I bet he watched the Wimbledon finals on that very screen yesterday while sitting comfortably on that sofa!

As it happens, I just stepped off a GoGo-equipped Delta 757-200 on a flight from JFK to SLC. The aircraft was also equipped with Panasonic’s excellent AVOD system that many readers of this blog have experienced. It’s a great system and it performed well. We departed at 9:30AM and flew about 5 hours. Being the inquisitive guy that I am, I walked around and took notes on what people were doing on the plane. Here’s what I saw (can you see where this is going?):

In Business class:

- all 26 seats full

- all 26 screens were tuned to something

- 1 laptop came out midflight, woman working but not on wifi

- couple snoozers

In Economy class where I was sitting:

- nearly full flight of 158 economy pax. Maybe 4-5 empty seats.

- Using IFE – 72

- Reading book, magazine, or newspaper – 34

- Sleeping – 31

- Personal Electronic Device for fun (game or movie) – 14

- Working, reviewing or writing on paper – 6

- Working on laptop – 5

- Using Gogo wi-fi – 1 (Me)

I’m not making it up. Maybe it was just an anomaly, but on this flight at least the score was “IFE 100, Broadband 1.”

This comment is turning into more of a blog post, so I’ll wrap it up by reaffirming that at LiveTV we believe in broadband because we believe in “At Home in the Air”. But we continue to ask ourselves three questions based on what we’re seeing out there: when, how, and who pays?

Thanks Nate! Very much appreciate your contribution!

, , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to The man with the notebook is LiveTV CEO Nate Quigley

1. Ludwig von Hapsburg XII "Stinky" July 7, 2009 at 5:58 pm #

Oh, Nate!

Next time invent an alias or something so it doesn’t appear to be a shameless plug of your company. Come on, man! Do I have to walk you through everything (eg. Chipotle).

And be a charitable guy…get those Mormons to help poor old Gogo.

Speaking of Gogo. I have to Gogo to the bathroom.

“Stinky”

2. Mary Kirby July 8, 2009 at 9:50 am #

Who better to plug a company than its own CEO?

As one Twitter follower points out – it’s all about the last question: “But we continue to ask ourselves three questions based on what we’re seeing out there: when, how, and who pays?”

We love our in-flight Wi-Fi, but in two years, will you pay for in-flight Internet or expect it to be part of the service?

3. Jesse July 8, 2009 at 10:00 am #

Gogo Inflight Internet was just introduced on Delta a few months ago. Obviously, it will take some time for the product to catch on. Based on all accounts, however, people think it is fast and they really like it (search twitter).

The only complaint has been with people that have laptops a couple of years old that have short battery lives. That is because most planes do not have power ports. As Gogo evolves, and people continue to buy newer laptops with longer battery lives, inflight internet will be the future, not LiveTV. Heck, you can get Hulu on Wi-Fi if you really want to watch TV.

4. Ludwig von Hapsburg XII "Stinky" July 8, 2009 at 11:45 am #

Don’t all travelers “expect” everything for nothing? But, alas, that isn’t the way the indutry (at least in the US) operates these days. Its all about fees, fees, and adding fees on top of fees.

I see it all the time. People paying $100 for a ticket and complaining that their flight is late, seat broken, TV screen inoperative, audio inaudible, grouchy flight attendants, reduced mileage for flights booked in cheap fare buckets, etc., etc., etc.

Good point, Jesse. Airlines may be compelled to have IFE, but if they really are looking at it as a numbers game, I have two words for in-seat IFE: Fuel Burn.

I will be sure to fly to Seattle and sample all the Kool-Aid being served.

“Stinky”

5. maria July 8, 2009 at 1:25 pm #

Hey Nate,

When is JetBlue signing with Aircell??

6. bcnstar@gmail.com June 15, 2010 at 3:41 am #

7. Toni September 26, 2013 at 7:47 am #

of course like your web site but you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to tell
    the reality on the other hand I will certainly come back again.

8. Colette November 6, 2013 at 2:14 am #

At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, later than
    having my breakfast coming yet again to read more news.

9. Colette November 6, 2013 at 2:15 am #

At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming yet again to read more news.