VIDEO: An in-flight product from Swiss you don’t want to miss!

Mary Kirby wow.JPG

Swiss International Air Lines is very much like its parent Lufthansa in one key area – it is high-end and knows how to treat its customers during flight. The carrier was kind enough to let me join a group of travel and aviation journalists in experiencing its new business class offering on a big, beautiful new Airbus A330-300, which was introduced in late April on the carrier’s popular Zurich-New York route. I documented some of my experience on video. Check it out.

, , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to VIDEO: An in-flight product from Swiss you don’t want to miss!

1. Yossarian August 16, 2009 at 7:06 pm #

Oh, yeah gratuitous leg shots!

Interesting still shot.

2. van den broek August 19, 2009 at 4:02 am #

Mary, I flew this new business cabin from Zurich to Dubai return about 4 weeks ago. In comparison with other business class cabins i fly on, this would be my review : (ps I am about 1.95M and this obviously colours my perspective :

Dont like :
    1. The fold out table is a mess. Even the crew did not know how to get it back in once i had folded it out. It was comical, at one stage there were 3 flight attendants crowded around my seat to try to help.
    The purser apologised and told me they would have to be all changed,
    because the springloaded mechanism was too troublesome.

2. The seats have no adjustable headrests which is crazy at this level
    If you are taller, there is no head/neck support at all.

3. There seat base is not adjustable forward or back so with longer
    legs, there is no comfortable under-knee support.

4. The seat was narrow, and uncomfortable to sleep in compared to other business class cabins (Air France, KLM, Northwest, Lufthansa) all have better lie flat products on A330/A340 in this respect)

What i did like a lot was :

1. Great working space, large fixed flat surfaces, so you can have
    your laptop folded out and still eat. This is absolutely much better
    than competitors.
    2. Great 1 seat rows next to the windows. Its an intereseting lay- out
    with 2 seat and 1 seat rows alternating by row adacent to the
    windows. Im not sure i understand fully the logic or efficiency of
    doing this, but as a business traveller, the 1-seat pods are great.
    3. IFE is terrific as you mention. easy and intuitive to use.
    4. The crew and service were great, not only swiss efficient but also
    friendly and attentive.

Regards.

3. Mary Kirby August 19, 2009 at 7:43 am #

Thanks so much for your reveiw! I am particularly interested to hear that the business class fold-out tables are going to be replaced. I too had difficulty with the table, but I figured I was just missing a trick (which happens, on occasion ;) I’m now kicking myself for not including that piece of video in the vlog.

I’m a fan of the “personal pod” experience, and the ability to get work done. The only thing missing (apart from what you mentioned) is connectivity. Swiss has been taking a wait and see approach on bringing high-speed Internet service to passengers. Its parent, Lufthansa, is working with Panasonic to re-establish the Connexion service it once offered on overseas flights.

No doubt if this is a success, Swiss will get onboard, and then that big working space and powerport will be all the more useful.

4. Heather August 20, 2009 at 1:55 am #

I just flew First Class, Zurich to Tokyo on Swiss Air.

Not only were the flat beds uncomfortable, but the service was inattentive to me, in particular, since I was last on their rotation in the first class cabin. The fold out table is large, bulky and unnecessary, however, I can see it would be nice to have someone sit across from you.

Last, but not least, I got food poisoning from the meals!! Luckily my fever wasn’t high enough to be quarantined when I landed in Japan, however, I WAS quarantined the next day in my local hospital. THANK YOU, SWISS AIR!!!

How ridiculous that the food cannot be regulated properly on a FIRST CLASS flight!!!!! I should feel safe to eat anything.

I flew first Lufthansa on the way out and they were what first class should be.

A shame, as I was looking forward to checking out Swiss Air.

Oh well!!

• James Page August 21, 2013 at 10:57 am #

I had a similar experience (not first class) but food poisoning.

taking time off work to recover with my girlfriend who is also suffering from the inflight meal!

5. Gerhard Richter August 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm #

I’ve been traveling both with Lufthansa and Swiss and I prefer Swiss.

I haven’t been on any of these refurbished Swiss A330ies yet, but I really like the look of the classy and roomy high-end interior design compared to the kitschy and claustrophobic design with Emirates and the like.

Food quality: Well, this used to be much better in the old days (1980ies) when first class was still overstaffed and people actually took the time to enjoy a meal. Fares were much higher then, about the double or triple of today’s fares.

IFE: I don’t need any IFE at all. All I need is a plug for my notebook. Internet connectivity would be nice to have, on the other hand there’s never enough bandwidth for a pleasant Internet experience up in the clouds, so better leave it.

6. James Page August 21, 2013 at 10:53 am #

I got food poisoning on a Swiss Air flight back to Athens from Zurich…