VIDEO: Forever spoiled by the Emirates A380

Mary bar.JPG

I should probably take off my stilettos and put them on the shelf. I’m done. Ruined. Destroyed.

Emirates gave me the ride of my life aboard its A380 from Dubai to Toronto and now I’ll never be able to fly again without wistfully thinking about that experience (how on earth will I cope on US legacy domestic flights?)

BAR.JPGI have to believe that everything will pale in comparison.

But while the Emirates A380 offers nearly every imaginable amenity, its crown jewel is its ultra-professional, ultra-stylish and ultra-fun staff (and ultra-cute! See pic to the right.)

I feel like Eliza Doolittle telling Professor Higgins: “Where am I to go? What am I to do? And what’s to become of me?”

Emirates vice-president for passenger communications Patrick Brannelly, who gave me a private tour of the A380 before it left for Toronto, also dropped some news on my lap about the carrier’s fresh study into Ku-band-based airborne Internet. See what he said and showed me in the following video.

You’ll understand why I’m forever spoiled by the Emirates A380.

, , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to VIDEO: Forever spoiled by the Emirates A380

1. Roger December 1, 2009 at 9:21 pm #

I am surprised you didn’t try to prove Tim Clark wrong about 2.5 tons of water being too much for the shower. You could have turned the shower into a jacuzzi and played around with rubber ducks for ages :-)

It would also have been interesting to see economy where most of us travel. According to SeatGuru both SQ and EK have 32″ pitch (boo) but somehow SQ manages 19″ width while EK is 18″. While most carriers do 9 abreast in economy on the 777, EK does 10 abreast which is not pleasant, and the reason I don’t fly them anymore.

2. David Parker Brown December 2, 2009 at 4:44 pm #

Wow amazing video and an amazing airline/plane!

3. Layman December 3, 2009 at 8:47 am #

I agree with Roger. Emirates seem to have standardised their 777 fleets handling both medium and long range missions. This means that cattle class passengers taller than a metre will experience absolute agony traveling on any trip over 4 hours. to be avoided

On this story- the overriding aspect of an A380 is its incredible smoothness. The sheer bulk simply flattens any turbulence. From now on I will only fly on airlines with an A380- even if I have to wait.

4. Corky December 4, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

She doesn’t seem too bright, but at least she’s kinda cute.

5. Mary Kirby December 4, 2009 at 2:51 pm #

I blame my parents :)

6. Joel December 13, 2009 at 5:40 am #

A great summary of ‘upstairs’ on the A380. As a passenger my only grumble is that the J cabin is big, really big, and feels like a hostel dormitory whilst the seats themselves, especially in the very centre of the plane, feel rather claustrophobic. But good that one doesn’t need to climb over someone else to get out, and the ICE system is oh, so, so good. Watching the plane land through the tail camera feels a bit like playing a flight sim…