Is British Airways weisz to launch a new first class?

BA first.JPG

BA first 2.JPG

British Airways tapped actress Rachel Weisz to show off its new first class cabin, which debuts today on a Boeing 777 headed for Chicago.

The timing of the launch is, well, interesting, since many industry executives are foretelling the demise of first class. BA, itself, is mulling dropping business class on a number of short-haul flights.

In any case, Weisz, a frequent BA traveller, is enjoying the following features:

A 15″ in-flight entertainment screen (Thales TopSeries IFE)

USB port, RCA jack and noise-canceling headsets

Personal electronic blinds

Fully integrated ambient and mood lighting

A 60% “wider bed” at the shoulders

Leather bound writing table

Says Weisz: “For style, stellar service and complete luxury, it doesn’t get better than British Airways’ new first cabin.”

Here is more press stuff from BA, which has invested £100 million “to create an exclusive experience based on classic design and understated luxury”. (ABTN reports that the new first class product will be rolled out onto 73 more aircraft in BA’s fleet.)

God bless them and good luck.

The airline’s Coat of Arms with the motto ‘To fly to serve’ is a core feature and the 1920s pioneering era of luxury travel is captured through motifs such as Cyril Kenneth Bird’s ‘Care in the Air’ character.

The design of the new cabin is inspired by premium British automotive brands. At the heart of its quink blue and cream design is a redesigned suite featuring an enhanced bed – wider with a new ‘intelligent’ mattress and the finest 400-thread Egyptian cotton bed linen.

A new premium service style has been developed for cabin crew to ensure world-class service for customers who can eat, sleep and work whenever they want to.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Is British Airways weisz to launch a new first class?

1. karl February 10, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

Those windows look like they belong in a train!

2. Jake Redman February 10, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

I WISH the windows were that big. That’s why I’m looking forward to the Dreamliner…big windows. (…and I’m an aisle guy)

3. Layman February 11, 2010 at 6:35 am #

That protruding reading light looks dodgy to me. It may become a hazard in severe turbulence.

4. Scott February 11, 2010 at 5:44 pm #

You are so cheeky… :)

5. Joel February 11, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

I’ve never seen anyone as lovely as Rachel Weisz or Mary Kirby in First on BA, but my girlfriend and I did have Orlando Bloom in the row behind us last year. Kudos to me and my BA miles.

It does seem an anachronistic product: with the gap between J and F ever closer with flat beds in both, it’s extremely hard to justify paying to sit in the nose of the plane. I’ve only sat there when on an upgrade or redeeming miles, but presumably the market is still there on some routes – I’ve met a number of BA customers who do pay, sometimes full whack, to be there. But it’s going to take a lot to justify that extra spend in the current climate. (And sitting next to Weisz ain’t quite enough.)

Then again, an aspirational product has a role in a full service airline and if you have five passengers on an intercontinental each paying £2,500 one way to be in the nose of the plane, that’s an awful lot of revenue.

(And it would have to be really severe turbulence to hit that lamp.)

6. Alvin Frankenfeld March 3, 2010 at 5:28 am #

Many thanks for that, lasted just over a cup of coffee for me to read!

7. Avery Thivierge August 10, 2010 at 8:21 pm #

I introduced myself to smoking when I was 14 years old. This turned out to be the worst wrong move I’ve made. Now I am 45 years old and I’ve got heart disease. When looking to giving up smoking, I found the e-cig and will see how it works. With a little luck, it’s going to assist me with this awful dependence.