Lufthansa to offer 100 CDs on demand in economy class

The first Lufthansa aircraft to offer in-flight entertainment (IFE) took to the skies 40 years ago. Can you believe it?

On that day, Lufthansa screened the film “Chariots of the Gods” with 16 mm projectors on flight LH404 from Frankfurt to New York. See clip below.

To celebrate this achievement, Lufthansa is further extending its IFE offering in economy class “with more films and TV programs and as a new feature: 100 CDs on demand”, says the carrier in a new online update.

Of course, we already know that Lufthansa’s long-haul economy class product is pretty sweet. But 100 CDs on demand for steerage is a mighty nice addition indeed.

, , , , , ,

7 Responses to Lufthansa to offer 100 CDs on demand in economy class

1. David Parker Brown April 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

Why would they call it “100 CD’s on demand” how about “thousands of songs on demand?” CD’s sound so 1990′s :)

David

2. Mary Kirby April 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Bloody good point!

3. city professional April 9, 2010 at 10:27 am #

Huh? 100 CDs on demand? Other than being 600 CDs fewer than Singapore Airlines, say, this may prove to be a technical challenge for an airline that has yet to install economy class seat back TVs on its 747s, never mind AVOD… What, are they going to start handing out CD Discmans to Y pax?!

4. benny April 9, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

IFE on LH economy – well, that’s a nice concept. Right now on LH 747s you get the movie on old CRT overhead screens, audio in a couple languages, and maybe subtitles. Premium product, huh? The food is OK, free booze is a plus, but overall my trips to India on LH are second class compared to Air France – even though it means 2 Airbus flights. At least I get my own screen.

5. Lurker April 9, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

Nice cleavage. Please more.

6. Dave April 9, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

CDs? How primitive… perhaps they could break out the gramophone afterward.

7. Dave April 9, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

One other thing… was that meal edible? I mean in my experience even MREs (except the old ham and eggs- which are just god awful even doused in Tabasco. I still have nightmares…) are better than most airline food. Also did they make fly economy or did you volunteer? At least if you, at 9.5 feet tall, can fit into those seat, I know I’d be ok- especially with the booze to help out.