bmibaby chief Julian Carr is ready to take your questions #4Julian

Logo.JPG

Having launched operations in 2002, UK budget carrier bmibaby can still be considered somewhat of a youngster – one that has had its fair share of challenges. But the carrier, which is owned by the Lufthansa Group, is determined to stabilise and instigate cautious growth.

Julian from bmibaby.JPGSpearheading this strategy is bmibaby’s new managing director Julian Carr. Don’t let Julian’s fresh-faced visage fool you. With extensive aviation industry experience – including at IATA – Julian is developing a five-year plan aimed at driving bmibaby’s business forward.

Among the tools now being employed by bmibaby to reach its customers and prospective customers is social media. The carrier recently launched a clever enplanement marketing campaign on YouTube, and has bolstered activity on Twitter and on FaceBook.

Now bmibaby’s new chief is ready to take your questions!

Julian has graciously agreed to answer questions posed to him via the comment section of this blog, or via Twitter, FaceBook, etc.

Here is how it will work. You ask the questions via your preferred social media medium, we’ll compile the list and send it to Julian, and he’ll answer.

Julian’s answers will appear on a follow-up blog on Runway Girl. Easy, right?

If you tweet a question, be sure to address @bmibaby_com and the hashtag #4Julian

Don’t hold back. How often does a top airline executive agree to do this?

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to bmibaby chief Julian Carr is ready to take your questions #4Julian

1. Janine September 29, 2010 at 10:17 am #

Will bmibaby replace its 737s? If so, when?

2. Gerallt Marsh September 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm #

When are we likely to receive some positive news for the Cardiff base?

We have seen many promises and neglect and after a reduction in based units from 3-2 aircraft it was believed that this winter was looking promising. However it now turns out that many flights have now been cancelled for W10.

What is being done to bring passengers back over the Severn Bridge from Easyjet & Ryanair at Bristol?

3. Mark Buck September 30, 2010 at 1:45 pm #

Any plans for starting a connection from EMA – FRA or MUC? As a customer from Lincoln I currently have to drive Two hours to get a flight from MAN or BHX.

4. Aiden October 1, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Mark, bmibaby already fly to Munich from both East Midlands Airport and Cardiff!! They fly from EMA to Cologne too!

5. Peter Evans October 1, 2010 at 9:54 am #

Julian, there are suggestions that bmibaby is looking at developing charter operations to support independent tour operators in th UK. Is this is serious consideration or is it pure conjecture?

6. Martyn Collings October 2, 2010 at 4:43 am #

Is bmibaby every going to make CWL a viable option to BRS? Although it is hard to compete with the likes of easyjet and Ryanair, the market for CWL definately exists!

There are a number of routes currently not served from CWL which are multiple daily services from BRS.

Passengers want to travel from CWL, however the options are just not there and never really have been.

To make CWL a viable option and change customer’s perception of the airport will certainly need a great deal of investment, so are you prepared to commit?

7. Mary Kirby October 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

I’ve added two questions of my own:
    1) How is bmibaby working to improve the passenger experience (from check-in until baggage claim)?
    2) Does Julian envision offering inflight entertainment and/or connectivity, and if so, what types are under study?
    Julian is working on the answers….

8. anonymous October 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

I just checked-in online for our BMI Baby flight next week, the first time I’ve used BMI Baby’s online check-in. Did not want to pay £17 to guarantee particular seats for myself and travelling companion (£8.50 per person each way, for standard seats, £11.50 if you want extra legroom), so I left the allocation to them. I do think it was a bit naughty of BMI Baby to then allocate us seats in different parts of the plane… I don’t particularly care where I sit, but I think it’s reasonable to expect to be seated with my travelling companion(s)! Unless, of course, we are among the last to check-in and there are no seats together – but as our sequence numbers on the boarding passes are 19 and 20, that surely can’t be the case! Looks to me as if BMI Baby have hit on a sneaky new way of raising extra revenue…

9. AIDEN GILL October 15, 2010 at 8:45 am #

Looking forward to the ‘phase 2′ release of bmibaby’s summer 2011 routes soon. Are you able to give any sneaky hints of any new routes that might be added? Also could there be any kind of expansion to the fleet for next summer, imparticular to the Manchester base?

10. Callum October 15, 2010 at 9:15 am #

Hi Julian,

I would love to work for bmibaby as cabin crew and hope one day to be a pilot as I am saving up for my PPL training. I am wondering, Will bmibaby be recruiting for new jobs again next summer if there is any new aircraft or routes???

Thanks!

11. Lee October 21, 2010 at 9:26 am #

Recently my wife and kids went to Nice without me. This was traumatic for them withoput having the hasstle of having to check in online whilst over there as they were going for longer than the time allowed to check in online. When is BMI going to realise that people who check in online often go away for more than a week and dont want to spoil there holidays by having to cut off there holiday to find an internet cafe, or some kind of internet acces to be able to check in online? Most other airlines allow check in 21 days in advance. My family werent in a place with any internet acces, so I had to post their check in details, and luckily they recieved them, but surely this isnt the ideal. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Also, how can you possibly justify the extortionate phone rates for your customer services?

Regards

Lee

12. Gareth October 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

Why is it that B.M.I.Baby are still using the old cages that are not made to the specified dimensions?As revealed in the recent B.B.C. exposure!