VIDEO: My love affair with Air France’s new Affaires business class seat

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to VIDEO: My love affair with Air France’s new Affaires business class seat

1. Robert April 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

KLM have the same seat on their new 777-300ERs .. I flew AMS-SFO the other week – very comfortable seat.

2. Mushroom April 13, 2011 at 6:57 am #

Their seats are only surpassed by their food!

3. Merlion April 15, 2011 at 3:12 am #

So what´s so special?? Qatar, Malaysia and other 5 star airlines have been operating BETTER seats with more memory functions and adjustments since ages ago. Wake up Girl! Fly more 5 Star (mostly Asian) Airlines and get out of your American shell bit more often.

4. Mary Kirby April 15, 2011 at 7:08 am #

I should have stressed this in the video but the simplicity of the Affaires seat is part of its charm. As for my American shell, well I’m happy to report that after back-to-back-to-back trips, I’ve found it again, and will be happily ensconced in it until EBACE in Geneva next month. Tally ho.

5. Bob J April 15, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Another example of the wonderful life of Mary Kirby. Yes I’m so jealous.

6. PremFlyer April 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

Sorry but to give such a positive spin on this seat is a bit of injustice. As the previous poster mentioned most of the Asian airlines, Middle Eastern Airlines in addition to BA, United/Continental (selected A/C) are offering fully 180 lie flat seats in business class. Probably a few others I have forgotten as well.

I am shocked that Air France can claim they have slept in every business class seat on the market and decided to opt for a lie-flat yet angled seat with limited control and what looked like a very small IFE screen. Having spent many hours in such a seat, I would not describe the experience as refreshing.

They may pay less now but it will cost more in the long term and I think you will see passengers beginning to vote with their feet (or backs for that matter!)

7. Mary Kirby April 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

I too have tried – and been disappointed with – many lie-flat seats. There is nothing comfortable or enjoyable about having to grip a seat with ones toes. But Air France’s Affaires seat is not like a traditional lie-flat seat. You won’t be hanging on for dear life, I assure you.

8. mo April 19, 2011 at 1:37 am #

I strongly disagree with you. This “new” lie-flat (or NEV5 with AF’s terminology?) is FAR from being a great deal.

- There is a big gap between the seat and the “footrest”.
    - This angle is a nightmare…. you sleep a lot WORSE than with BA fully flat bed, or even better !!! SWISS’s fully flat bed, which is truly amazing…
    - People who wants to sleep on the side are just completely stuck with this Lie flat stuff from air france.

My analyze, is that AF didnt want to get value out of its “La Premiere” first class seat/product. Therefore they refused to install Fully Flat Bed in Business class.

However, they announced internally (within AF) that beginning 2013 they would replace again the business class, as well as the La Premiere class !!

This makes sense, they finally realized that their Business was definetly outdated without a fully flat bed…