Farewell to the Badger

The aviation industry, including the Flightglobal community, is in mourning today after learning of the sudden passing of veteran industry journalist Brendan Gallagher.

badger.JPGAffectionately called the ‘Badger’ by friends and colleagues, Brendan was a consummate professional, a true gentleman, and a downright lovely person. He was also an expert in the field of in-flight communications, and will be sorely missed by all who knew him or worked with him.

As one in-flight connectivity provider said today: “What a wonderful man and beyond-talented journo. What a loss for the world, and for the airborne comms space.”

A few weeks ago, at the EBACE business aircraft show in Geneva, I had the pleasure of joining Brendan in interviewing Thrane & Thrane on board a King Air 200 about the firm’s new Aviator 200 in-flight connectivity solution. This is how I will remember Brendan, asking the tough questions and clearly loving his profession. May he rest in peace.

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to Farewell to the Badger

1. Chris Surgenor May 31, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

A great guy and true professional who will be sadly missed.

2. Ian Goold June 1, 2011 at 7:54 am #

Thank you very much, Mary, for this minute sample of Brendan doing one of the many things at which he was so good – teasing the truth from the marketing folk before (no doubt) relating it meaningfully to both specialist and general readers. ‘Twas a privilege to have been there nearly 40 years ago when he entered our industry. Then ‘Flight’ editor Mike Ramsden – at whose knee so many of us learned so much (yes, it’s his fault) – is to be credited for allowing us all to benefit from Brendan’s wisdom, ability, eloquence and charm. In his early days as Flight chief sub-editor he very often saved us from ourselves. Appropriate then that he was the first person I heard use the term “service provider”…

3. Alan Peaford June 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

Mary, I will treasure this as a way of really remembering The Badger’s ability to steadily drill down through the detail to get to the story. It explains why his knowledge was so great.

4. Bernie Baldwin June 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

So wonderful to have a video memory of the great man. It was he who taught me the journalist’s prayer: “Oh Lord, please don’t let today be the day that I get found out!” I sat next to him at a GKN breakfast at the RAeS last month. The dear old bugger owes me a IFE and cabin systems feature for my next issue! God bless Brendan. Will love you forever,

5. michal rosenzweig June 2, 2011 at 10:27 am #

Brendan was a wonderful journalist, with vast knowledge, true professional. as Mary mentioned he was the most pleasant and loveliest person, always was a pleasure to talk with him and yes, to learn from him. I am very sad.

6. Liz Moscrop June 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Thanks for posting this Mary.Typically he describes himself as ‘an ordinary cove.’ But he so wasn’t – he was incredibly special and it hurts like hell that he’s gone. So glad my last memory of him was a bit of naughtiness at EBACE. I can’t watch the whole thing, it’s making me cry too much. but I’m glad it’s there for future reference. x

7. Paul Jackson June 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

A great shock to read of the passing of a fine gentleman and an excellent aviation journalist.
    It was only last year that Brendan joined the team which produces the daily ‘Show News’ at aviation trade events round the World. He modestly regarded himself as the ‘new boy’ in our Anglo-American crew, but turned-in accurate and imaginatively-written copy from the first issue onwards.
    In the past few days, the expressions of sincere regret from US colleagues — who had only met Brendan twice — has been incredible. Not just the scribes, either: Brendan’s infectious personality made him instantly popular with production and support staff — indeed, everybody he met, however fleetingly.
    Professional AND popular; most of us would gladly settle for one.

8. Nigel Moll June 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Mary: You weren’t to know it at the time, but good on you for capturing Brendan at his best for one of the last times. Ever polite, persistent, inquisitive and keeping his readers’ questions foremost in mind.

9. Richard Cheeseman June 24, 2011 at 7:36 am #

Thanks, Mary. Lovely to hear the old boy’s voice again and see him in action one last time. I don’t suppose you have any footage of him with a pint in his hand? That would be equally characteristic of the man.