AUDIO: Army official explains Hunter Green Dart

At last, a US Army acquisition official has explained the purpose — if not the details — of the Hunter Green Dart program.

This blog first reported on this secretive signals intelligence (SIGINT) system in October 2007, and followed-up with a speculative — and now slightly errant — report in August 2008.

Tim Owings, the army’s deputy program manager for unmanned aircraft systems, held a press conference at the AUVSI air programs conference on February 3. Asked point-blank, “What is Hunter Green Dart?”, Owings gave a fairly complete answer. We still don’t know the precise nature of the system’s SIGINT capabilities, but the purpose of the program is now clear.

Click below for the audio.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , ,

6 Responses to AUDIO: Army official explains Hunter Green Dart

1. Lee 5 February, 2009 at 3:46 pm #

What the hell was that? All I heard was a mumbling monotone with reverb and a few words sprinkled in here and there. Useless noise.

2. Stephen Trimble 5 February, 2009 at 3:52 pm #

Sorry you’re having trouble. It’s working fine on my screen. Is any one else having this problem?

3. Mike Plunkett 5 February, 2009 at 5:30 pm #

Worked all right for me. Fairly quiet, but clear enough to understand.

4. airplanejim 6 February, 2009 at 2:08 am #

Sorry Steve, but I couldn’t distinguish but a few words. I have no idea what was said. Could you please post a written text of the briefing?

5. eldridge 6 February, 2009 at 2:59 pm #

me neither, incomprehensible.

6. Paul 6 February, 2009 at 9:22 pm #

The problem is largely Owings’ accent, which is very heavy, the relatively high speed at which he talks and his incessant use of military jargon and acronyms.

Other than the accent this is all pretty much what you might expect from a military spokesperson addressing an audience of what was, in likelihood, almost exclusively defense journalists.

I’m completely in the dark still.