[UPDATED:] Israel’s Rafael goes Bollywood to make missile sales to India

Israeli arms firm Rafael unveiled this video at Aero India 2009. It has been uploaded on YouTube. My friend in Paris, Denis LeBlanc, alerted me to this catastrophic collision of Bollywood and the arms industry. No introduction by me can give justice to this attempt at arms marketing. It has all the production values of a Rick Astley music video. Just watch, and, if you’re able, immediately erase the awful tune from your brain.

UPDATED: Hard to believe, but it actually gets worse. The Forecast Highs blog tracked down the original description of the video on StratPost. The StratPost blog writes:

StratPost spoke to Assy Josephy the Director of Exhibitions forRafael about how this video came about. “In Israel we have Jewishpeople from India, so we know about Bollywood and the song and dancenumbers. Israelis are generally aware of Indian culture. This video isto help build familiarity between India and Israel and Rafael,” he says.

But this is not the first time Rafael has exhibited something of thesort. Josephy says Rafael has displayed such videos in many countrieswith various themes customized to the culture of the locations. “InBrazil we did a video of football. Football is very big there. In Paristhe video had a theme that included Napoleon and the Renaissance. InPoland our video had themes of Chopin and Copernicus. In England it wasabout Shakespeare,” says Josephy.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve got to get my hands on a copy of that Paris video. I’m definitely checking out the Rafael booth at Le Bourget this year.

Also, The DEW Line thanks Danger Room for the plug.

, ,

19 Responses to [UPDATED:] Israel’s Rafael goes Bollywood to make missile sales to India

1. airplanejim 8 March, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

That is unbelievably bad. I couldn’t make it half way through.

2. Royce 9 March, 2009 at 12:53 pm #

Same here. Couldn’t make it the full way. Anyone who makes it through that video should get some form of achievement award.

They need to subcontract out the sales video making to a U.S. defense contractor.

3. Gaz 9 March, 2009 at 3:34 pm #

I really hope that’s the oddest thing I see today.

4. Forecast Highs 10 March, 2009 at 1:24 pm #

Rafael probably felt it needed something quirky and eye-catching to compete with all the other Israeli arms firms that are currently vying for the burgeoning Indian market.

5. Ed 10 March, 2009 at 6:58 pm #

Seeing is believing…Still, judging by the dance at the end of Slumdog, even these guys could teach Danny Boyle something about Bollywood dance sequences…

6. Jeremy 11 March, 2009 at 12:31 am #

I recognise the Python-5 they have in the video… but there also seems to be an AMRAAM missile (Does Rafael make licensed copies of these?) in the back.

7. Stephen Trimble 11 March, 2009 at 4:13 am #

I believe the Derby is in the back.

8. Ed Hamilton 11 March, 2009 at 4:54 am #

A similar ‘locally-themed’ video is playing at Australian International Air Show at Avalon this week – a lot of the local wildlife superimposed with the Rafael range, although I’m not sure how the Hawaiian beach soundtrack sells Australia!

9. Steve 13 March, 2009 at 6:24 am #

When I first saw this video it reminded me of everything I love about “tongue in cheek” Dinga Dinga Dee.Meanwhile Raphael is becoming a household name.

10. Michael Hikari 14 March, 2009 at 6:43 pm #

I managed to get through it!

I laughed/cried for the first half, but by the end I had decided that the thing will come of as really crass and perhaps a bit insulting.

By the end, it has the sound/feeling of listening to an American try to sustain a British accent. It might work out decently for the first couple minutes or so, but after awhile it’s degraded so badly that it’s not even funny, just annoying.

By the end of the video, it’s overwrought, under-acted, and sounds more like Israeli arabesque than Bollywood.

11. Alan Bollie 16 March, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

This is the greatest video. It’s different, funny, entertaining, has a catchy refrain. I have listened to it about twenty times. You nay sayers, whats so bad about it? It’s not demeaning anyone

12. 7K7 1 April, 2009 at 10:37 pm #

Hilarious :-D So bad it’s good – the dubbing, haha! :-D

They’re dancing and romancing and there just *happens* to be the odd missile lying about :-D

This reminds me of those B movies on Sci-fi channel where you can see the strings moving the giant spider :-D

13. graeme anderssen 6 June, 2009 at 11:03 pm #

No doubt this promo movie is downright awful,
    but one cant help but wonder at the potency of the venom expressed by some of the posters here, and i daresay there is a wee little drappie in there from youself too

14. Nicolas Cousineau 15 June, 2009 at 11:14 pm #

Somehow quite phallic, isn’t it?

15. Akram Khan 11 July, 2009 at 9:12 pm #

The video is nice to watch and I think it would appeal to Indians though to a westerner it might sound a little different. The israeli artists semed to have overlayed their performances quite nicely on top of the Indian background and Indian styled music.

Well so much for the artists and the marketing people. yes indeed music carries a lot more weight in the Indian culture as compared to so many others.

However I discuss this from a different point of view. we in Pakistan are absolutely amazed at how come israel instead, which has been returned to the Judean nation after 1900 or so years…..why do Israel has to create more enemies………The obvious aim of Israel seems to try to neutralize the Pa Pakistan Nuclear deterrent towards India by selling AWACs and AMDs….we are amazed to see a monotheist nation of israel trying to form an alliance with a polytheiest nation of India (with no biblical roots) against monotheist Pakistan which interestingly is currently involved in 2 conflicts…Kashmir and north west Pakistan (Area of Pathans)….both Pathans and Kashmiris are not Indian aryans but in all likelihood Israellite Hebrews from the lost kingdom of Israel (700 BC)…..israel is forming an alliance against Pakistan with Indian polytheist Aryans against Pakistan (protector of the Kashmiris and pathans)…….Is it not like the Southern Kingdom of judea of ancient times allying itself with some pagan polytheistic nation of Middle east in ancient times against its own cousins…the Northern Kingdom…………….Just a similie to show you what it amounts to………………Please ponder.

16. Wiccan Supplies 21 July, 2010 at 12:46 pm #

Excellent job.

17. bollywood movies 17 October, 2010 at 3:56 am #

Bollywood Movies are one of the most pleasant things i watch. They are just so colourful and great to watch. It is good to get away from the trash that hollwood spill out week after week.

18. echarpe cashmere 18 October, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

Merci pour cet article

19. ha wallpapers 30 September, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can
    survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.

My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!