SU-27s for sale in Illinois

I can hear the dealer’s sales pitch now: “What do I have to do for you to fly out of here today in your very own Sukhoi SU-27 Flanker?”

As blogger Dave Majumdar has reported, Illinois-based Pride Aircraft is offering two demilitarized SU-27s. Pride specializes in selling Czech-made L-39 jet trainer, and acquired the former Ukrainian Flankers from a previous customer. The aircraft have been stripped of all military avionics and weapons systems, and are intended to be sold as warbirds.

This gives me hope. After I make my fortune in the blogging business (hah!), it’s nice to know there will be some cool toys waiting for me to play around with. I’ve always said the SU-27 would be my pick in a fourth-generation fighter dogfight. It’s not because I believe it would beat an F-15. It’s because, as a lowly journo-blogger, I expect to survive about 2 seconds in a real dogfight, and I’ve heard many good things about Russian ejection seat technology!

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , , ,

32 Responses to SU-27s for sale in Illinois

1. Royce 27 July, 2009 at 2:30 pm #

This is another reason we need more F-22s. Those people in Illinois will soon have their own fleet of advanced Russian jet fighters. How will we defend NYC from Chicagoans still upset with the “Second City” label? They want NYC out of the way to gain hegemony.

2. Stephen Trimble 27 July, 2009 at 2:48 pm #

I’m starting to see the pattern. Chicago hosted the SECDEF Gate’s anti-F-22 speech two weeks ago. Now they have SU-27s in their backyard. It’s a conspiracy!

3. Doz 27 July, 2009 at 3:57 pm #

Just a nitpicking pet peeve I have – Russian aircraft designations are written like this:-

Su-27

etc

*not*

SU-27

4. Stephen Trimble 27 July, 2009 at 4:27 pm #

Yes, thanks. That’s actually our house style, too, but I forgot.

5. Lightndattic 27 July, 2009 at 4:36 pm #

I thought this outfit was going to offer them for use against the military for DACT?

6. Rene Rosales 27 July, 2009 at 10:42 pm #

Lightndattic -

I had thought that too. But I am guessing that the cost to Pride Aircraft of maintaining advanced Russian hardware without factory support may force them to charge the air force/navy very high rates.

And for BVR practice these Su27′s may not have new enough avionics (AESA radar/RWR’s that newer Su-27 family variants have), plus RCS is known enough that there is nothing tactically interesting enough to justify the cost to have them in DACT exercises. Same for WVR – maybe flight envelope for this particular model is already adequately modeled by aggressor squadrons – enough to that the cost to hire Pride aircraft Su’s isn’t justified.

I bet the story would be completely different, for example, if these were Su-30mki’s or a thrust-vectoring Su-35bm.

Or maybe we already know enough from exercises like COPE India and Red Flag where Su-27 platforms have already been engaged in DACT.

Rene Rosales

7. Rene Rosales 27 July, 2009 at 10:57 pm #

But then again . . . if I were a US combat pilot engaged in DACT, it could be worth a lot learning to get over the psychological experience getting a visual tally on a big Su with that dazzle paint.

Which also makes me wonder how creeped out an enemy pilot might get on suddenly realizing an F-22 has quietly and without warning pulled alongside him or appeared on his 6 from seemingly out of NOWHERE. Heh.

Rene Rosales

8. Otto Pernotto 28 July, 2009 at 2:51 am #

WOW! It’s a long way from the good ole days of the “Petting Zoo.” Given the stuff I’ve seen on the web of the airshow moves these jets can make, I’d love to see them perform for real but admit, part of me would be very worried that a civilian team might not have the proficiency, currency, but especially enough spare parts.

Reminds me of a story: in 1991, my pilot and I flew our FB-111, in the same sortie, airshow demos over the Toronto Airshow overwater and then headed down to Cleveland and flew Burke Lakefront, all on the same bag of gas. The next year, the Cleveland coordinator called and said the Russians Mig-29 demo team wanted to replicate our feat and I said bring your life raft because you’d end up in the water going from one venue to the other. I thought the Su-27 might have the fuel to have squeaked it in but would be below mins if not flaming out on final.

Brings back great memories!

9. Tommy 28 July, 2009 at 3:21 am #

I don’t know. I was set on getting the Toyota Prius but that SU-27 looks more exciting. Does it come in a hybrid? I love the style but would hate to emit that much carbon into the atmosphere! And do you think the Obama administration would give me cash for my clunker I would trade in?

10. Corvan 28 July, 2009 at 11:26 am #

How much are they going for?

11. Russian 29 July, 2009 at 5:44 am #

Because this is not an abbreviation, but a shortening:
    Su – Sukhoy
    MiG – Mikoyan i Gurevitch (Mikoyan and Gurevich, M&G, “i” pronounced like “ee”)
    Yak – Yakovlev
    Tu – Tupolev
    etc.
    It’s a names of aircraft designers, which became a names of aircraft design bureau (later – aircraft corporations).

12. Dante Staffeld 12 January, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

13. Dwain Koralewski 21 January, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

Well, it’s been nearly six years since I even thought about these things. Brings some thoughts to mind and also reminds me I need to get off my rump. You probably didn’t plan it that way, but I’m happy to have run across ya!

14. Foster Lamorella 5 February, 2010 at 2:08 am #

Miss the .com boom!? What’s with you man! Don’t miss it again

15. tibia gold 18 June, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

Talking about the stock exchange is always interesting and enlightening. I’ll wait for the next posting. Thank you.

16. ffxi gil 21 June, 2010 at 10:52 am #

I truly appreciate you taking the time to post this. I really liked reading it and am looking forward to more posts from you! Keep ‘em coming.

17. Marie J Blind 28 June, 2010 at 9:18 pm #

Hey, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?

18. eve isk 3 July, 2010 at 8:24 am #

19. Buy Computer Components 23 July, 2010 at 8:37 am #

Wonderful to read!

20. Dog Aggression 23 July, 2010 at 11:02 am #

Great post!

21. leasing auto 14 September, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Ending months of speculation, Volkswagen’s United States operations have named former GM and Ford executive Jonathan Browning as its new CEO.Wasting no time at all, Browning has already held a news conference and made it clear that as Volkswagen of America’s CEO Browning will be leading a major revitalization of the brand. Browning pledged to help reconnect the iconic brand to American consumers the way the Microbus and Beetle once did.

22. Calvin I. Diaz 15 September, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

23. Mack Kulis 21 September, 2010 at 12:50 am #

Working from home really gives me a lot of time to spend with my family. I love making money at home!

24. Kevin Lozada 22 September, 2010 at 5:41 pm #

FLABeLOS the Whole Body Vibration (WBV) machine which is not only backed by solid science but is being used by many professionals throughout the world. People involved in sports, healthcare, universities, fitness and trainers not to mention the huge number of celebrities are all using and benefiting from Vibration Training. vibration plate, vibration

25. for acne 23 September, 2010 at 10:46 am #

I do not think the same way, on the other part you do make a bad point

26. used golf clubs 1 October, 2010 at 1:04 am #

In corresponding reports, following his click convention admitting his cheating, Tiger Woods started apologizing on the females with whom he obtained affairs. Twelve hrs later they are saying he barely scratched the floor.

27. free magazines 15 October, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

After reading all this nonsence what is on my blog know all being for this and then bam! hit nail on the headthis now I finally after all withou know what had happened.

28. Srgd lessons 10 November, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

29. Matthew Baskett 15 November, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

Probleme d acne adulte ? autour du menton ? l’acne adulte est un probleme de peau courrant chez les adultes et surtout les femmes pour plus d’infos et news sur l’acne autour du menton visitez http://www.squidoo.com/acne-autour-du-menton le site regorge d’informations sur l’acne adulte et surtout l’acne autour du menton

30. http://www.supernova.com/ 24 September, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Heey There. I found your log using msn. Thhis is a rerally well written article.

I will make surte to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information.
    Thaks for the post. I will definitely return.

31. pletchermjy 12 October, 2013 at 8:38 am #

cheap north face zip ups Later, as the company achieved greater success, it added more products in its line. cheap north face borealis Right now, through forty several years later, The North Confront offers an north face montreal The jackets of this company do not only deal with the cold but they also protect you from Ultra Violet Rays which can be very harmful. breast cancer north face jacket As Harrer himself writes,When looking for a backpack, you will often find the label “uni-sex”, which means it can be used by both girls and boys. cheap north face clothing uk Buying cheap may lure you for a while but if your plan isn’t a one time venture then you won’t mind a few more dollars and buying from a reputed store. cheap north face usa